UKC

Breathable Approach Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 14 Mar 2013
Can anyone reccommend some breathable approach shoes? I currently use some Goretex Merrel (walking style) shoes and find my feet just sweat loads in them.

I looked at a few yesterday...

Solomon Volcano - these seemed light and looked pretty breathable

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/salomon-mens-volcano-shoe-34110181?id_colour...

Solomon Mens X Ultra GTX - Very comfy but the goretex makes me wonder how breathable they would be?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/salomon-mens-x-ultra-gtx-shoe-33110363?id_co...

La Sportiva Boulder X - Again, very comfy but the suade makes me think they wont be great for what I want?

Any advise/reccommendations are welcome. Will mainly be used in the UK but also for some trips to Spain etc.

Thanks

The Lemming 14 Mar 2013
In reply to James Malloch:

Don't get sucked in by marketing. Aproach shoes are trainers designed not to look like trainers. Personally I prefer last year's designs of Merrels or Columbia brands without a membrane so they stay breathable.
 CharlieMack 14 Mar 2013

I had the same problem, and after trying on loads of different ones, i came across these Quechua ones by accident while getting some running trainers.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/jawar-50-id_8125864.html

I'm very fussy when it comes to my outdoor gear, and am a bit of a gear geek. I also work in an outdoor shop so get staff discount on ones like scarpa crux, five tennies etc. And i've used and worn out a few, so i know what i'm after for replacement.

These are £40, but were £30 when i got them the other week. Great grip on rock (not for climbing though due to thin lugs), but more for boulder hoping such as on approach, super breathable upper! Like i mean super breathable. But their rugged sole, and tough patch reinforced sides mean that they are burly and hardwearing, and also works to keep water out up until the mesh, which starts quite high.

So all in all a great approach shoe! Light, breathable, burly, gripy, and only £30! I'm very impressed with mine indeed.
In reply to James Malloch: If it is mainly for the in and out to climbs, Inov8 have some extremely breathable shoes. I use them but would not use for actual climbing personally, except for very very easy stuff (although once did a top roped HS which was fun but only because I forgot my rock shoes ). I've seen Inov 8 shoes used extensively for scrambling in the Cuillin and several times to do the In Pin, so some other folk like them as a functional approach shoe.
Pinged 14 Mar 2013

I agree that approach shoes, in a lot of cases (5.10, La Sportiva especially) are just trainers. Not waterproof and so therefore pretty useless for approaching anything apart from the pub 10 months out of 12 in UK!

I don't normally have good things to say about North Face gear but my Hedgehog GTX have been brilliant. I have had them for a few years and they still perform like new. They are lightwieght, waterproof, breathable and super comfy. They may not pass muster with trendy boulderers in their skatepark style appoach pumps but my feet are always bone dry and comfy!They have an elasticated loop on back to make easy clipping to harness for long descents too. I love em!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...