UKC

Camalot re slinging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james mann 20 Jun 2018

I’m wondering if anyone here has sent camalots back to the US for reslinging. I have some new c4 units and a couple of sets of old style ones without thumb loops which are in reasonable shape apart from the tapes. Would be good to be able to use them again. Has anyone had these older units reslung and returned. 

James

DaveHK 20 Jun 2018
In reply to james mann:

I heard they won't re-sling ones over a certain age but can't remember what that was.

Ungabunga73 29 Jun 2018
In reply to james mann:

Not a Trad climber here so tell me to shut up...........but could you not just buy a 30cm/8mm dyneema sling and tread it through and biner it ???

deepsoup 29 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I think you might be thinking of DMM and/or Wild Country.

There's been a fair bit of discussion about it on here, and the upshot of it all is that under the PPE Regulations, DMM can't re-sling a cam without effectively taking responsibility for the whole unit being up to snuff, which means it needs to be one of theirs and within its (wholly arbitrary) 'sell by' date.  (Max 10 years old, I think.  Or is it 5?)

The same was true of Wild Country, but they are no longer willing/able to re-sling a cam even if it is one of theirs and brand new.  Apparently having outsourced all production, they now lack the ability to sew a simple sling themselves.  So caveat emptor - me, I won't buy gear from a 'manufacturer' who isn't capable of carrying out such a simple task themselves.

No such problems in the US of A, where you can be sold a sling by someone who accepts responsibility for just the sling, which just happens to be attached to a cam that you get to make your own decision about.

If you were sending cams all that way anyway, you could send a mix of different types (including Friends) away to return refreshed after a nice holiday in California here:  https://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/cams/mt_camresling.htm

deepsoup 29 Jun 2018
In reply to Ungabunga73:

You could - there are lots of options for things you can DIY. 

There are a gazillion old threads still kicking about on here talking about all of that in mind-boggling detail. 

It was in one of those that Jim Titt finally managed to convince me of the above, regarding the PPE regulations.  Prior to that I had firmly but mistakenly believed it was just the manufacturers being unnecessarily and annoyingly risk averse interpreting the rules that way.  (At the time, Wild Country still owned at least one sewing machine of their own and would re-sling Friends if they weren't too old.)

Post edited at 10:51
 DaveHK 29 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

>  there are lots of options for things you can DIY. 

Chris Tan Death Sling?

StuMsg 29 Jun 2018

Has anyone got a UK only solution to reslinging cams? Just a case of tied cord?

Alkis 29 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

With regards to WC, this might change. WC no longer has a presence in the UK as an engineering company, having been fully absorbed into Salewa in Italy. There has been talk that reslinging might become possible again, since the equipment is there.

jonnie3430 29 Jun 2018
In reply to james mann:

I've done it with a rack of camalots, most the old design without the thumb loop, one at least 15 years old, but all were in good condition apart from a few broken trigger wires replaced with hair bobbles. All were reslung with no questions asked and the broken trigger wires replaced. I paid for postage to BD, they paid for everything else including postage back. Excellent service.

OP james mann 29 Jun 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

Thanks. Finally a useful answer!

James

BruceM 29 Jun 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

There used to be a 10 year max life for reslinging mentioned on the BD site.  I always made sure I sent mine off around the 9 year mark for this reason.  But I have some old ones they have reslung once already, that are now pushing 12 years past last resling (not used much) so would be good to know if these 20 year old cams would be accepted.  Haven't had a chance to look into that myself yet.

Also remember you have to contact them first for a return authorization number.  Their charges are AWESOME value for money.

deepsoup 29 Jun 2018
In reply to Alkis:

> There has been talk that reslinging might become possible again, since the equipment is there.

Cool.  I'm sure that would be a positive move for those that buy Friends. 
(Which still won't include me, any time soon.)

jonnie3430 29 Jun 2018
In reply to james mann:

> Thanks. Finally a useful answer!

> James

No worries, just tracked down the email chain, you need to ask for an RA number to get those cams there for reslinging.

To get one you need to provide:

Name
Contact Phone Number(s)
Return address
Type/model of warranty item
Size (if applicable)
Color of the warranty item
Age of the product in question
Description of the problem

jonnie3430 29 Jun 2018
In reply to BruceM:

Mine are always 10 years old.

leon 1 29 Jun 2018
 yodadave 29 Jun 2018
In reply to StuMsg:

just reslung an old wired bliss cam with an 18cm sling with the rubber retainer bit inside. my hope being that the retainer would be enough to deter anyone from trying to "extend" the doubled sling.

It seems fine for me, I'll not be lending it to anyone to lead on though. 

AndyRoss 29 Jun 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

What did you put on the customs sticker? Anything else needed to avoid them getting stuck one way or the other?

jonnie3430 03 Jul 2018
In reply to AndyRoss:

No idea, sports equipment? Only thing I'd say is be patient, they have hundreds to get through.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...