UKC

Camp ball nuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max Ruffo 08 May 2009
Anybody tried these mixed cam/nut from Camp?
They get into thin craks and easy to place, apparently - but not sure they are worth the money as I've not seen many around.
Thanks
MAx
 Dave Searle 08 May 2009
In reply to Max Ruffo: i have a couple and i love them, easy to place and hold strong from my experience. i would deffo recommend them.
 JimR 08 May 2009
In reply to Max Ruffo:
I've got some, they're excellent .. but not worth the cost in the UK. I got mine from the US where they're cheaper when the dollar rate was good
 riddle 08 May 2009
In reply to Max RuffoI second all of the above. I bought mine to do some routes in the Peak District; however they have more use at Swanage. Size 2 and 3 have been the most used so far.
 Scarab 08 May 2009
In reply to Max Ruffo:

The are my favourite piece of rock kit, I like them far more than cams or any other piece. Easy to put, dont move/walk and easy to get out.

Havent fallen on one thou, dont doubt it will hold, but I question how easy they are to take out after a fall. Anyone fallen on a ball nut?

By the way, if anyone wants to sell any Im up for buying.
 biscuit 09 May 2009
In reply to Scarab:

just had a look at these on their site. It says that as a chock it's rated to 8kn but not rated as a cam.

However at 3mm it's still pretty impressive as a chock.

Does this mean that if you cam it in it's pretty useless or is it down to rules and they're not allowed to state it as for some aid gear ?
 JR 09 May 2009
In reply to Scarab:

I haven't but many have off The Promise, Burbage North.
In reply to biscuit:
> (In reply to Scarab)
>
> It says that as a chock it's rated to 8kn but not rated as a cam.

They aren't cams, so why would they be rated so?
 biscuit 09 May 2009
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Ah now i'm intrigued.

They appear to have a camming trigger from the piccies and the tech specs on the camp site has a column for rating as a chock and a rating for cams which is n/a. I guess that's why.

How do they work then ?
In reply to biscuit:

They are a wedge shape, with a movable flat "ball" (hence the trigger). So you pull the trigger, the ball thing pulls back making the wedge narrower. You stick it in the crack and let go of the trigger and the ball moves back up the wedge, making it thicker. Then if you fall on it, the idea is the pull will send the ball up the wedge widening it and making it fit tighter. If that makes sense.

Look at a photo, should be clearer.
 biscuit 09 May 2009
In reply to bentley's biceps:

gotcha

cheers for that makes sense now.
 Scarab 09 May 2009
In reply to JR:

Heh just saw a trailer of pearsons attempt on, clearly shows the ballnut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...