UKC

Camping airbeds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2018

My wife is not a huge fan of camping, but I manage to persuade her away for a couple of weekends a year, as long as it's done with a decent degree of comfort.

To that end, I bought a couple of double sized Vango 5cm self-inflating mats, one for us and one for the kids, which are brilliant to sleep on (comfort and warmth) and have so far survived the kids using them as trampolines!

However, they are a battle to deflate, roll up and get back in the bags and, even when packed, are pretty bulky and heavy (I'd hate to try the 10cm version!), so I'm looking for a smaller, lighter equivalent and considering 2 double air beds instead.

The Quechua ones in Decathlon seem to get the best reviews - anyone got any experience with them? Any others I should look at?

Mark Kemball 08 Jun 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I would not recommend double airbeds, have you ever tried one? I found them uncomfortable and cold.

JohnO1978 08 Jun 2018

Been using the decathlon double one (£29.99 i think) for a few months now and its great. Not too bulky (4 season sleeping bag size when deflated) and very comfortable. Not too long to inflate either. Great value really.

mik82 08 Jun 2018

After getting really fed up with airbeds for car camping/visiting friends I switched to a thick self-inflating mat. (Alpkit Dozer - 7cm thick) and the improvement in comfort and warmth was amazing. In fact I slept on it for a couple of weeks while waiting for a mattress. It is heavy, but then I don't carry it far! Think carefully before switching!

Post edited at 15:22
 a crap climber 08 Jun 2018

If you use an airbed it's worth putting a foam roll mat or something underneath for a bit of insulation. Not as warm as a self inflating mat, but it does make quite a difference 

OP LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> I would not recommend double airbeds, have you ever tried one? I found them uncomfortable and cold.

I've only ever slept on them a couple of times years ago at friends houses after a night out on the beers!

mp3ferret 08 Jun 2018

The big self inflating mats are good we have one of the outwell ones and its as comfortable as a bed.

https://www.outwell.com/en-gb/ecommerce/sleeping/self-inflating-mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...