UKC

Can adults use kids shoes for indoor climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan 88 04 May 2012
My girlfriend wants a pair of climbing shoes for doing mileage whilst indoors. so i was wondering if anyone has used kids shoes instead of there normal shoes at their indoor wall so there good shoes don't get worn out?

I am specifically talking about using http://www.rockrun.com/products/Mad-Rock-Mad-Monkey.html

Thanks in advance
Starkey92 04 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88: i know a few people with tiny feet that do this!
 bouldery bits 04 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88:

I used to climbing with a girl who only climbed in a pair of those. She seemed to do ok.

Oli
 ashley1_scott 05 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88:
You know the saying, "If the shoe fits"
I know of about half a dozen adults that wear the kids shoes, and as it's just for mileage I cant see any reason not too.
 winhill 05 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88:

Kids shoes are different, the mad monkey probably a very good example, they have rounded toes so less precise.

The Durango Nano is a better bet IMHO.
 Fluvial 05 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88:

What size are you looking for?
 Sharp 06 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88: Outside would be fine but I'm not sure about inside. Health and Safety and all that.

Ben
 ashley1_scott 06 May 2012
In reply to Sharp:
How would H&S come in to it ?
Hard climbers (not me) wear shoes a good couple of sizes smaller than normal and thats fine, so why would someone get pulled up on H&S for wearing a pair of kids shoes. If they fit, the fit.
 Carolyn 06 May 2012
In reply to Duncan 88:

Probably depends on grade, as kids shoes are likely to be less aimed at performance and more at comfort. Which could be a good thing on lowish grades.....

A big factor in them being cheaper is presumably just that you don't pay VAT on kids shoes.
 Sharp 06 May 2012
In reply to ashley1_scott: I did seriously consider writing "this is a joke" at the bottom of the post but I didn't really think it was necessary...how wrong I was.

Ben
 poeticshambles 06 May 2012
In reply to ashley1_scott: Because they may trip on the large mickey mouse ears attached to the heel.
 ashley1_scott 07 May 2012
In reply to Sharp:
Sorry Ben, I just get really wound up that H&S get involved in stuff that really should just be left for people to make their own minds up on.
 wilkie14c 07 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:
>
> A big factor in them being cheaper is presumably just that you don't pay VAT on kids shoes.

So thats what we have become then, sooo poor are we that we have to buy kids stuff to avoid the VAT? And where will this shortfall be up from then eh? The honest working man who just wants a pint etc etc
I'm emailing the news desk of the mail now to get this tax dodge stopped

Glansa 07 May 2012
In reply to ashley1_scott:

Just make sure that your (justified) wrath is not directed at the HSE and their generally balanced approach but at the twin evil of corporate/council excuse-makers using H&S as a cover-all way to weasel out of anything they feel like avoiding and lazy, incompetent and deeply zealous H&S managers who don't understand the law or the environment they work in...

Rant over.
 Glansa 07 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

So, does anyone know the legal technicalities of kids clothing? I mean with the increase in childhood obesity could we start seeing child XXXL sizes that while still qualifying as VAT free will fit most adults (I know most kids stuff in done in age ranges but I also see plenty of it done as Child S-XL too).

Or, should we start having stop and search enforcement for the more stunted members of the adult population to ensure they are paying their dues and no doing the clothing and footwear equivalent of filling the tank with red diesel? The Tax dodging scum!

Please note:->
 wilkie14c 07 May 2012
In reply to Nick B, Another One:
LOL
I'm not fully sure TBH how it works, I've got kids and I dont notice much difference between adult and kids prices for clothes except for school clothes, they seem cheaper now than ever. I can't see kids climbing shoes being VAT exempt though, its not like they are essential is it? My ex-wife was tiny and she used to buy kids clothes for herself all the time simply because the fit was better, didn't notice much difference in price though. I divorced her in the end because she was always embarrasing me. Her and her damn dora the explorer tee shirts and my little pony vests

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...