UKC

Can someone recommend me a pair of walking boots please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WelshGirl 29 Jan 2013
Doing an outdoor ed course in college and we do a lot of walking all through out the year and a fair few expeditions and im also looking to get out on the mountains with other people as well through out the year.
I am looking for a pair of walking boots that are going to last but don't really know what brands are best or where to start. Also whats better. Leather or synthetic?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Lorenza
 Nathan Adam 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Lorenza-Lee Lockyer: go to a proper outdoor shop and try on as many as you can. The comfiest one might not be the cheapest but it'll be the best investment in the long term.
 GridNorth 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Lorenza-Lee Lockyer: This may sound glib but the comfiest you can afford. What suits one person may not suit another. Go to a reputable shop and get advice. Synthetic will be more comfortable "out of the box" but leather may be longer lasting.
 BnB 29 Jan 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Not sure I agree with the leather longer lasting line. In my experience the sole goes first and the cost of repalcement is such that new boots each time are a more cost-effective option, bringing as they do improvements in all respects and not just the sole.
OP WelshGirl 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BnB:
Thanks for the replies. Will have to get to a shop sometime and have a look around. Being a student I haven't a great deal of money so can't really be too picky.

Many Thanks
Lorenza
 Brass Nipples 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Lorenza-Lee Lockyer:

Take a look at Scarpa, la sportiva, Meindl, brasher, saloman. There's very good leather boots, and there's very good synthetic for all uses. So find something that will be comfortable. Sounds like 3/4 season boot is what you are after, provided you are just walking, and only want one boot. If doing lots of peat bog trotting ala kinder / bleak low / dart moor etc, the leather would be my preference.
 BnB 29 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance:

>
> If doing lots of peat bog trotting ala kinder / bleak low / dart moor etc, the leather would be my preference.

My preference would be to walk somewhere else
 Brass Nipples 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to A Game of Chance)
>
> [...]
>
> My preference would be to walk somewhere else

Ah Kinder is great, but I guess it's a bit like arbiter....
 Mikkel 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Lorenza-Lee Lockyer:

A pair from Altberg
 GridNorth 29 Jan 2013
In reply to BnB: Hence my use of the word "may".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...