UKC

Chouinard Zero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 20 Feb 2020

I have no more use for ice axes. I'm wondering - is my trusty ice axe a collector's item yet?

top cat 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, if it has the bamboo shaft.

OP Rog Wilko 20 Feb 2020
In reply to top cat:

It doesn't.

Basemetal 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It isn't.

Babika 20 Feb 2020
In reply to top cat:

Bamboo? That must be an interesting model

I have one with a hickory shaft rusting away somewhere

Basemetal 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Babika:

Hickory then bamboo then steel then fibreglass...

https://heavywhalley.wordpress.com/2018/01/05/ice-axes-the-macinnes-peck-te...

Post edited at 20:46
 John Gresty 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've got a bamboo shaft version in the shed. Didn't valiant service for many years, although the shaft is a bit battered it became my preferred general purpose walking/mountaineering axe.

John

Fredt 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Still use my bamboo Chouinard Zero for anything up to Scottish III, and in the Alps for anything of similar grade. Best axe ever, got it for my 21st birthday, 44 years ago.

OP Rog Wilko 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I've no experience of the bamboo shaft, but of all the axes I've owned the Zero has been my favourite for mountaineering - its has always felt so well balanced and just the right weight. Bent shafts have an advantage for ice routes, though.

wbo2 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko: Still use mine.  Blue shaft version 

Point of View 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I still have mine, a hickory shaft I think. Stopped using it when I removed some of the tape I had wound round the shaft and found that the wood was looking a bit dodgy. Then bought a Mountain Technology axe, made in Glencoe, which I still use for hill-walking.

jon 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Yanks on the now sadly defunct Supertopo site were keen on them. Here's just one of a number of threads: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2989482/Price-on-a-Chouinard-Zero-A...

Jamie Hageman 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi Rog, yes your Zero is most definitely worth something.

It depends on the condition.  I sold a pretty battered example with a pitted and worn pick for £100 a couple of years ago.  I've got another used Zero which I'm keeping.  In nice shiny condition with a good shaft, you're looking at more like £160/£180.  If you can find a rarer Climax - a short-handled Chouinard - in good condition, that's more like £300.  I have a collection of Chouinard Alpine Hammers - more common, much more affordable and lots of different variations through the years.  I met Yvon years ago, but alas it was before I started collecting ice tools so his signature on one remains elusive.

OP Rog Wilko 23 Feb 2020
In reply to jon:

Interesting link! 

OP Rog Wilko 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Thanks for that Jamie. Mine is heavily used and has the blue metal shaft and rubber grip. I've put it on Ebay - I shan't be using such things again unless I can find out how to start getting younger again - as I'd like to think it was still being used. I'll post what I get for it.

OP Rog Wilko 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Point of View:

>  Then bought a Mountain Technology axe, made in Glencoe, which I still use for hill-walking.

I had one of those - the hammer - which I used with the Zero. It didn't last long as the end broke off the pick halfway up Quartzvein Scoop

David Myatt 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, it was an interesting link! Simply the best axe ever. I still use my bamboo one for walking, but did use it in Raven’s and the Point 40 years ago. I found the extra reach handy. I got one for my wife too, and had the shaft shortened. My nephew will inherit them, but not for a few years yet I hope...

Jamie Hageman 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ah yes, I forgot about the later metal-handled Zero.  Still got the name though, so will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Basemetal 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Anything pre "CAMP Interalp", ie made in California, will attract quite a premium.

leland stamper 24 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

So a pair(axe and hammer) of Chouinard bamboos should be worth a fair bit. I lent mine to a mate about 25 years ago when I stopped ice climbing. If I get them back supertopo seems to suggest I could get $1000 for them. Is that right?

OP Rog Wilko 24 Feb 2020
In reply to leland stamper:

Oh dear, hope he still has them.

OP Rog Wilko 01 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Thanks for that Jamie. Mine is heavily used and has the blue metal shaft and rubber grip. I've put it on Ebay - I shan't be using such things again unless I can find out how to start getting younger again - as I'd like to think it was still being used. I'll post what I get for it.

There wasn't much interest. Just over 20 quid. A bargain, I reckon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...