UKC

REVIEW: Christmas Books - Our Top Picks of 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 15 Dec 2021

Despite Covid-19, 2021 has been a good year for outdoor literature. From inspiring new guidebooks to historical biographies, accounts of epic journeys to mountain-related fiction, here the team at UKClimbing and UKHillwalking pick their stand-out titles of the last 12 months.

Read more

dominic o 15 Dec 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Those are all great books, but can I be cheeky and add one to the list: The Climbers Against Cancer Charity Calendar is the perfect stocking filler and the thing that set's it apart from all the others is that EVERY PENNY goes to support CAC in funding cancer research  

https://www.climbersagainstcancer.org/shop/rucksack-club-cac-calendar/

Cheers, Dom 

Can I also be cheeky and add this one from a well know UKCer of days gone by. 

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/narratives/the-farthest-shore/

Sean Kelly 15 Dec 2021

Missed out the recent biography of T Graham Brown which is top of my list!

Pedro50 15 Dec 2021

Have I missed any news on UKC about the Boardman Tasker results?

Pedro50 15 Dec 2021
In reply to Mrs Only a Hill:

Thanks I saw this yesterday when I suddenly wondered who won, searched on UKC to no avail. I'm glad a climbing book won there seemed to be too much latitude in the short list. I've ordered the Comici book.

Carless 15 Dec 2021
In reply to dominic o:

I just received mine and can confirm it's great - even more so that the money goes to CAC

Rob Parsons 15 Dec 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Missed out the recent biography of T Graham Brown which is top of my list!

Good book, but published in 2019.

Sean Kelly 15 Dec 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:>

Good book, but published in 2019.

Well that was kept quiet. Only read about it this month. And I've been on the Vertebrate website quite a bit too.

The Comici book also looks a good one.

Post edited at 19:21
 olddirtydoggy 15 Dec 2021

The Nimsdai book of the 14 peaks blew my head off. The film was a perfect companion.

dominic o 16 Dec 2021
In reply to Carless:

> I just received mine and can confirm it's great - even more so that the money goes to CAC

Thanks for the feedback and for the support of a great cause - much appreciated!  

Cheers, Dom 

davemurphy333 17 Dec 2021

I'm surprised Jimmy Chin's new book didn't get a mention.

SuperstarDJ 17 Dec 2021

Really interesting list of books - thanks for putting it together.  I've added a few to my wishlist.

This year I've particularly enjoyed Robert Mads Anderson's 'Nine Lives - Expeditions to Everest' - a serious mountaineering book about Everest, David Rose and Ed Douglas' 'Regions of the Heart' - a moving and powerful book about Alison Hargreaves - very different from most mountaineering books, and Andy Pollitt's 'Punk in the Gym' - while it tails off towards the end, in the most part it's a wonderfully engaging and idiosyncratic pictures of the North Wales and Sheffield scene in the 80's - you really feel like Andy Pollitt is telling you this stuff over the course of a boozy night in a dive pub.  RIP Alison and Andy.

skelf 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I think my uncle used to hang out with T G Brown long ago. Maybe it’s mentioned in the book, but apparently he would do the entire crossword in his head, then write it down all at once. 
Is it a good read?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...