UKC

Climbing Holds on garden tree?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dams 03 May 2020

We have a huge 50 foot pine tree in our garden and I was thinking of fixing some climbing holds to the trunk and wanted some advice as to what is best to use to fix these. Also, some advice as to what rope and safety equipment to use as it is for my kids (under 100% supervision!). thanks, Chris

Dell 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

Does it not have branches they can climb?

Don't be tempted to screw them into the tree, you'll put a lot of wound on it which could become entry points for disease.

Attach the holds to bits of plywood and strap that onto the tree, it'll be a bit crap though. 

TBH You're best off getting a couple of sheets of ply and using the holds to make a wall. 

nikoid 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

Agree with the point about disease and also you will be using big juggy holds for the kids which will be difficult to fix securely in any case.

If I was a kid I would enjoy climbing a rope ladder, you could rig a top rope to belay them.  You could also use it like a Bachar ladder to train on!

nic dill 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

The above suggestions are great. I'd keep it simple, like a gym rope hanging from a branch to climb or swing on, is a good start. A slack line with hand rail ,a cargo net hammock, or a  DIY portaledge ,can all be good. Have fun 

Siward 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

I don't think, with a big old pine tree (do you know the species?) that screws will do it any harm. The tree will adapt and deal with them and a few screws don't amount to much particularly if the tree is a big one.

It depends how much you like your tree but there's plenty online on the subject. 

Dams 04 May 2020
In reply to Dell:

It has many large branches but not a low level unfortunately. I am also concerned about the screwing into the tree but much advice I have found says that a few screws/bolts in such a large tree will be fine. My other option is a few sheets of ply and then fixing to the 8 foot fence which have steel RSJ's as posts. Thanks

Dams 04 May 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Rope ladder is a great shout. Any recommended suppliers online? Thanks

In reply to Dams:

Chances are you will be fine screwing into the tree. Take a look at your local hedgerow, where trunks of healthy trees have engulfed wire fences. 

There is a chance that you will introduce disease just the same as there is a chance of tetanus from a shaving nick. 

pwo 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

I made a tree house in ours for the kids 20 odd years ago and used coach bolts for the 'main' joists and then constructed around that platform. Placed a rope ladder into the base. It's still there and no visible harm to the tree. But there again I never liked them (the trees not the children). The kids loved it and now soon I'll be rebuilding it for the gran kids (and me).

nikoid 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

I'm afraid I can't recommend anywhere as I have never bought one. I'd start with ebay or look at playground equipment suppliers.

Andy DB 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

If you didn't want to drill the tree, I saw the local scout centre had tree climbing set up using something similar to this https://www.kotulas.com/deals/toys-and-games/yard-games/slackers-tree-climb...

If drilling, be careful with spinning holds as the trunk is unlikely to be flat to the back of the holds.

Also, think carefully about your top anchor, I think they had used an industrial strop choked around the trunk a number of times so it self-tightened as loaded.

caver 04 May 2020
In reply to Dams:

It'll be OK. Think of how many screw etc are used in house trees.

There are lots of things you can use for holds; other than climbing holds. Get inventive. Use at least three screws to counter rotation. Stainless screws to avoid rust. If you end up moving a hold, do something about the holes. They are an entry point for disease. For big holds make sure they can drain away rain water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...