UKC

REVIEW: Climbing Psychology – Mind Training for Optimal Climbing Performance by Kevin Roet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 08 Mar 2022

Climbing psychology is a complicated subject, not extensively covered in the literature to date. This self-published book by MCI Kevin Roet aims to give you the tools to improve your performance, no matter what level you climb. It's a welcome addition to the mental training library, says John Kettle.

Read more

broken spectre 08 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Ordered and what an aesthetically pleasing volume it looks from the review! Hoping to apply the philosophies and techniques within to "normal life"; any rock climbing related benefits will be the cherry on top.

Howard J 08 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

>If you know your enjoyment of climbing is limited by an irrational fear of falling, this book will expand your understanding of what may be going on inside

What about those of us whose fear of falling is entirely rational?

Paul Sagar 08 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

I put off reading The Rock Warrior’s Way for ages because people made it sound like a work of hippy-dippy mysticism that I thought I’d roll my eyes at. But I’m half way through it and it’s much, much better than I expected. It’s basically just mindfulness applied to climbing with a healthy reminder not to let the ego call the shots (it shares this with eg Buddhism, but this is something Buddhism is really good on and we’d all do well to take on board). 

Sorry to derail the thread - just to say the above volume sounds like it could be usefully read alongside RWW, not necessarily instead of

timparkin 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Howard J:

There's a rational fear of unlikely events and a rational fear of likely events. Having read the book I think it does address this by slowly learning to fall 'well'. 

I'd like a little more about the 'unusual falls' aspect of falling e.g. falling to one side, which seems to worry me more than perhaps it should. 

Overall I think it's one of the better books out there on falling training (if not the best - I've not read them all)

Tim

In reply to UKC Gear:

I have just spent a few days in Kevin's company up in Scotland. He is a wonderful chap, full of psych, encouragement and genuinely interested in climbers and people in general. I bought a copy out the back of  his van and can't wait to get stuck into it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...