UKC

Climbing shoes and bleach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kassius 04 Jun 2014
Hi there
So my question folks is this.
Hypothectically speaking if someone's climbing shoes reeked like the most awful cheesy stomach churning , gag reflex inducing, vile smell to ever cross your path and this said hypothetical person had washed them in the washing machine only to be left with a pair of shoes that had two smells one being the same vile stench and the other being washing soap. Could this hypothetical person leave them in a cold soak of mild bleach to destroy the bacteria which pumps out this foul smelling gas without damaging the shoes?.
 IPPurewater 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

No. Use Sodium Bicarbonate powder (baking powder will do) dissolved in a little water. Dab it on with a cloth and leave it to dry. It may need to be done twice, but there should be a big improvement after the first time.

Ian
bust3r 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

I've done something similar. But thoroughly washed them with a sponge and washing up liquid, then a degreaser and an overnight soak in dilluted bicarb.

did the trick very well.
needvert 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

Rather impressive they still reek after the washing machine, mine smell like new afterwards.

Not cheap but there are products like the sterishoe, that are UV lamps you put in your shoes after using them to sterilise them. Has pretty good reviews on Amazon, seems to help my shoes.

JDC 06 Jun 2014

Try soaking in solution of biological washing powder/liquid overnight. Seems to get rid of the putrid stink
 andrewmc 06 Jun 2014
In reply to needvert:

> Not cheap but there are products like the sterishoe, that are UV lamps you put in your shoes after using them to sterilise them. Has pretty good reviews on Amazon, seems to help my shoes.

or you could try the natural UV light in the sky (obviously more difficult to get the light in all the cracks of the shoe though)?
 gavina 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

No you can't! Combination of residual smell and bleach is, surprisingly, much worse than the original problem. I.. ..have a friend who did this to a pair of 5.10s which went from being annoying/funny to utterly intolerable. Stank anywhere out from within a rucksack.

Congratulations for asking first!
 Hyphin 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

generous use of bicarbonate of soda (dry); or a warm solution (1/2 cup per shoe) then add lemon juice? Works really well in hydration packs too
shorts 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

As a one off I use Milton sterilising fluid (for babies stuff I think) for rockshoes, trainers and approach shoes.

Or Boot Bananas as an ongoing solution.
 Baron Weasel 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Sempafi:

Sodium percarbonate is what you need. Found in 'Oxy' type stain removers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...