UKC

Climbing Technology Hound+ v Dron+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
scotthldr 10 Nov 2021

Looking to purchase an ice axe for use on Scottish Winter Mountains. Mainly for walking but also grade i/ii and at the very most grade iii gullies and ridge routes.

I've came across and probably narrowed it down to the CT Hound + or Dron+, but there doesn't appear to be that much of a difference between them to warrant the two different models. Any suggestions or recommendations ?

Thanks in advance

In reply to scotthldr:

Very little between them by the looks of it. Would fit the bill for what you want. Look in a similar vein to the sum’tech, a Jack of all trades. 

If you haven’t looked already I’d suggest having a look at the black diamond venom too, nice walking axe style pick as standard but for steeper stuff you can fit any of the more aggressive BD “banana” shaped picks. Also has a leash less type sliding pommel which i find is well worth having… Only a B rated shaft but I’d be happy with that for lower grade stuff as it’s all in the feet.

scotthldr 12 Nov 2021

Thanks for the reply, I’ll look into the BD Vemon before purchasing.

L.A. 12 Nov 2021
In reply to scotthldr:  

Not sure if this might be of interest to you but Im selling a Petzl Sumtec axe. Its brand new and still has the tags attached. Its a T rated modular axe with interchangeable picks (Same picks as Quark and Nomics)  Petzl describe it as 55cm length but realistically its more like 53cm

Im selling due to a long term injury which means I wont now be using it this year. Looking for £105 (this includes P+P)

Specs on here... https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/climbing-winter-c1/ice-axes-c43/pet...

Review ....https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ice-axe/petzl-sumtec

scotthldr 12 Nov 2021
In reply to L.A.:

Thanks for the offer, but at 53cm it’ll be too short for my requirements. I’ll certainly check out the links, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...