UKC

Closed loop prusik

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 06 Apr 2013
Whilst watching the video about the new Edelrid belay device I noticed that when abseiling the guy seemd to be using a "closed loop" for a prusik i.e. the loop was not completed by means of a knot but was somehow bound. Does anyone know where you can get these? I always find the knot a nuisance on prusik loops.
OP GridNorth 06 Apr 2013
In reply to SteveoS: Yes, that looks like the kind of thing if perhaps a little on the long side. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any experience with them. Not cheap but I'm willing to pay if they are more convenient than a knotted cord.
 AlH 06 Apr 2013
In reply to GridNorth: I have aramid slings in 30cm and 120cm. The 120cm is excellent for threads and general use as a sling, unknots very easy too. The 30cm one (as shown in the video) only seems to work as a prusik loop effectively on some ropes. The stitched section is large enough that it prevents me getting enough wraps on some ropes.
In reply to GridNorth: at those prices I'll make do with knotted rope!
 IPPurewater 06 Apr 2013
In reply to GridNorth: You could try this if your prusik is long enough.

Place the knot near to one end of the loop and tie an overhand knot at the very end. Clip the krab through this small loop, then use a french prusik in the usual way, winding the loop upwards away from the krab. This will always hold the knot at the base of the prusik.

john arran 06 Apr 2013
In reply to IPPurewater:

... or just clove-hitch your krab into the prusik loop near to the knot.
ice.solo 06 Apr 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

make the hitch 'leading' it with the double fishermans in your hand. when you tighten it, pull the knot, yanking it a bit on one side.

the loop will then tighten with the dblfishermans knot a bit off center of where you will clip/weight it.
easy one-handed too.

hope that makes sense. a bit hard to describe but easy to do.
 deepsoup 06 Apr 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
They're quite stiff, good for poking through thread placements but probably not a good thing if you were wanting to use one as a prusik.
markus691 06 Apr 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
http://www.adventurepluslc.com/canyon/rope/sewn-cord.html
Sterling Rope and Blue Water Rope seem to manufacture sewn prusik slings.
OP GridNorth 07 Apr 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Thanks for the advice. I'm experienced enough to know all of these "tricks" but I was hoping to eliminate the knot altogether. I heva a nylon tape sling about 14 inches long, I might try that although tape doesn't bite as well as cord.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...