UKC

Coleman gas cartridge won't work on my stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HowlingGael 15 Apr 2021

Has anyone else had issues with Coleman Gas Cartridge not working on non Coleman branded stoves?

I have quite a few gas stoves from different manufacturers including SOTO, Primus, Coleman, Highlander and Jetboil. All of these stoves work perfectly well with most brands of gas but some will not work on some Coleman cartridges which is very frustrating given that they are one of the most widely available brands in the UK. All of the stoves have the same threaded fitting compatible with the Lindal 188 / EN417 fitting but the valve on the cartridge seems to be set too low to allow gas to flow when the stove is screwed on.

This could be a bit of a problem if you didn't test the stove on the cartridge prior to a trip.

I have been aware of this for some years, it used to be the occasional cartridge but now seems more common. 

Has anyone else had similar problems?

VictorM 15 Apr 2021
In reply to HowlingGael:

I have a Primus Eta Solo and I once used it with a Coleman canister. It did work but it was not sealed 100% so I had to take it off every time the canister was not in use to save gas - which kind of negates the whole point of a Jetboil type design such as the Eta Solo. 

So yeah, not as bad as your experience but I would say that Coleman canisters are at least a bit finicky. 

OP HowlingGael 15 Apr 2021
In reply to VictorM:

Thanks.

I spoke to a pal who is in outdoor retail and she tells me that Coleman gas cartridges occasionally not working with other brands is a well known issue. (but one that is rarely spoken about)

Apparently if a customer brings back a stove and gas that doesn't work they are told it's the stove that's 'faulty' and not the gas. Seems a bit hard on stove manufacturers in my opinion.

Jenny C 15 Apr 2021
In reply to HowlingGael:

Hitch n hike used to have a sign in the shop saying that stove/cylinder compatibility wasnt guaranteed - not specific to any brands.

Reach>Talent 15 Apr 2021
In reply to HowlingGael:

The lindal valves can be a bit prone to problems caused by insufficient 'pokey bit' stick-out; if the gas canisters valve is a bit deep, the stoves stem is a bit short or the thread is worn then they won't open the valve. My MSR pocket rocket got increasingly picky about what cylinders it would accept until I eventually retired it as the threads got beaten up from being over tightened. 

Frank R. 15 Apr 2021
In reply to HowlingGael:

Strange with SOTO and Primus and others. I have seen the problem with cheap Chinese stoves at times (the stove "nipple" being too short due to bad QA), not usually the other way around.

I have heard that most branded Lindal gas cartridges (MSR, Jetboil, whatever) are made by a single company in South Korea anyway, but Coleman might be the proverbial strange one, since some of their cartridges (C300 & C500) are indeed quite different in size from the classic 230g and 450g ones.

But last time I used some Coleman C300, it worked perfectly well on both Reactor and another stove.

Post edited at 22:15
 gravy 15 Apr 2021
In reply to HowlingGael:

Had this with different cartridges.  Leaves you with a problem of a full cartridge to dispose of it you can't get it to work!

OP HowlingGael 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Frank R.:

I was surprised with my SOTO Windmaster - Which is a brilliant stove. But it rejected 2 out of three Coleman cartridges I bought while rocking on with every other brand of gas I have had access to.

I also find that my Highlander Fastboil is great with all gas but Coleman too. 

I suspect you are correct about gas manufacture. I think Coleman cartridges are made in France and are a wee bit different in size from other brands. Interesting!

Frank R. 16 Apr 2021
In reply to HowlingGael:

Seems an ongoing issue with them as far as 2017:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/03/coleman-canister-gas-cauti...

Personally, I don't like their shape as well - they are just a bit too tall and thin to stack into most pots well and probably less stable with taller stoves. Pity they are the cheapest there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...