UKC

Crampon Toe Bail Spares

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GCathcart5 10 Dec 2020

I'm looking to convert my Black Diamond crampons from a wire toe bail to a basket-style bail. Does anyone have experience doing this or know where to buy this part?

I can't find any Black Diamond-specific parts and wondering if Petzl bails would fit?

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

motty89 10 Dec 2020
In reply to GCathcart5:

I have some climbing technology crampons and have been trying to check the same thing. Some people have had success with mixing BD/petzl parts at mountain project (https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116744008/third-party-toe-strap...

innes 10 Dec 2020
In reply to GCathcart5:

I use BD (wire) bails on my Petzl crampons, and they work fine - in fact, they fit my boot welts much better than the stock Petzl bails.    So, although you're asking about the reverse of this compatibility, Petzl/BD bails are pretty interchangeable as far as I can see.

Needlesport will sort you out with Petzl Fil Flex (basket) bails, if that's what you're after.  

OP GCathcart5 10 Dec 2020

Brilliant, thanks for the replies! I've ordered some Petzl basket bails so will update in a few days when they arrive.

Thanks for the help!

tomwalton 10 Dec 2020
In reply to GCathcart5:

I’d be keen to take those wire bails off your hand if you want to send me a DM 

OP GCathcart5 05 Jan 2021

If it helps anyone else in the future, Black Diamond and Petzl parts are interchangeable. I changed them by tying cord on to the wire, wrapping the crampons in a towel so I could hold them and pulling the cord.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...