UKC

Cuben fibre + eVent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 03 Jan 2014
Only recently discovered the existence of this material, anyone had any experience with it?

For example http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

Looks pretty cool.
llechwedd 03 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

Ultralite backpacking types in the US have been banging on about Cuben Fibre for years.
Quite a few rucksack/tarp reviews if you spend time googling it.
Never used it myself.
 Dauphin 04 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

Not very breathable. Seems a bit of a niche material re outdoor clothing etc. £650 for a tent for use in mountain marathons. It looks amazing but does 500g make any difference over training to the plodders in the b-d cats?

D

Clauso 04 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

I reckon that it'll be like wearing an oversized crisp bag, if you deck yourself out in cuben fibre. You'll probably send yourself deaf with rustling.
 anthonylewis 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Probably not to 'plodders' in terms of speed. Some of the elite guys like them. Slept in one a couple of times, didn't find it that noisy. Nice bit of kit, but for a specific purpose.
needvert 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

What makes you say its not very breathable?

Haven't heard that particular comment elsewhere.
needvert 05 Jan 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Yeah, I have one such tarp + stuff sack (...oh, and wallet. In my defense it was only 30usd).
 Dauphin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

Okay so after a bit of reading it's not Cuben fibre but a new Event/Cuben laminate. Seems that it is pretty breathable. Cuben is not breathable, it's used to make sails. And the weight reduction is negated if you have to take a roll of spinaker tape in your sack as it will likely get holed unless you are using it as a running layer. Horrible cut on the jacket though and only available in Dyneema white/grey. I'll be passing for the time being and letting the beta testers get back to us.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...