UKC

/ Cuben fibre + eVent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert on 03 Jan 2014 - 101.171.213.58 whois?
Only recently discovered the existence of this material, anyone had any experience with it?

For example http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

Looks pretty cool.
llechwedd on 03 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

Ultralite backpacking types in the US have been banging on about Cuben Fibre for years.
Quite a few rucksack/tarp reviews if you spend time googling it.
Never used it myself.
Dauphin on 04 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

Not very breathable. Seems a bit of a niche material re outdoor clothing etc. £650 for a tent for use in mountain marathons. It looks amazing but does 500g make any difference over training to the plodders in the b-d cats?

D

Darren Jackson - on 04 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

I reckon that it'll be like wearing an oversized crisp bag, if you deck yourself out in cuben fibre. You'll probably send yourself deaf with rustling.
anthonylewis - on 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Probably not to 'plodders' in terms of speed. Some of the elite guys like them. Slept in one a couple of times, didn't find it that noisy. Nice bit of kit, but for a specific purpose.
needvert on 05 Jan 2014 - 1.127.170.143 whois?
In reply to Dauphin:

What makes you say its not very breathable?

Haven't heard that particular comment elsewhere.
needvert on 05 Jan 2014 - 1.127.170.143 whois?
In reply to llechwedd:

Yeah, I have one such tarp + stuff sack (...oh, and wallet. In my defense it was only 30usd).
Dauphin on 08 Jan 2014
In reply to needvert:

Okay so after a bit of reading it's not Cuben fibre but a new Event/Cuben laminate. Seems that it is pretty breathable. Cuben is not breathable, it's used to make sails. And the weight reduction is negated if you have to take a roll of spinaker tape in your sack as it will likely get holed unless you are using it as a running layer. Horrible cut on the jacket though and only available in Dyneema white/grey. I'll be passing for the time being and letting the beta testers get back to us.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.