UKC

Das Parka v PHD zeta belay jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dazmac 03 Jun 2012
I am after a new jackey to go away with in the autumn to do some trecking peaks, i have had a Das park before and used it on mera in winter and found it warm enough how does the Zeta compare for warmth?

Any other ideas welcome would prefer synthetic.
 Gibson 03 Jun 2012
In reply to dazmac:

I've used both mate and they are very similar. The Zeta has a few nice features over the DAS like the reinforced areas, adjustable cuffs, wee hanging tab on the back and reflective bits that look cool in photos.
Both as warm as each other I'd say.
In reply to dazmac: The Mountain Equipment Citadel is also worth a look, similar warmth, i.e. warmer than most supposed belay jackets (Montane etc).
 jonnie3430 03 Jun 2012
In reply to dazmac:

I love my DAS and chose it over a Zeta because of reports of the hood being difficult to close over the face so well.
 TobyA 03 Jun 2012
In reply to dazmac: Not used the PHD one but have had a DAS for 10 years and used and reviewed a Mtn Equipment Citadel last winter - http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4444 the Citadel might actually be slightly warmer but as noted in the review, it has a few features that make it less easy to use for actual belaying.

Out of interest, why do you want synthetic in particular? I would have thought high himalayan peaks would be a a place where an equally warm but lighter and more packable down jacket would work?
 Gibson 03 Jun 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I'd probably agree with that too actually but more because of the Zeta hold being made of cord and not elastic. Easily replaced I suppose.
OP dazmac 03 Jun 2012
In reply to TobyA: I agree down would be the best choice for thoes conditions but I cannot justify a jacket just for this trip, need a jacket i can use in winter here.

jonnie3430 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Gibson:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
>
> I'd probably agree with that too actually but more because of the Zeta hold being made of cord and not elastic. Easily replaced I suppose.

No so much that, more that the DAS zip closes the hood up to your nose so you are well covered from miserable weather, while the zeta hood is separate and the zip only comes up to the neck, meaning that the drawcords have to be pulled closed, which I don't think covers you up so much and is more of a faff. See here: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=82
 TobyA 03 Jun 2012
In reply to dazmac:
> I agree down would be the best choice for thoes conditions but I cannot justify a jacket just for this trip, need a jacket i can use in winter here.

Yep, in that case totally see your point!

OP dazmac 03 Jun 2012
In reply to TobyA: will have to find somewhere that stocks the ME Citadel to check it out, one of the things bugging me with the Zeta was the hood i like a hood attached permantly.

Looks like its down to ME an patgucci oh dear I have a soft spot for the latter must resist and go for function.
 TobyA 03 Jun 2012
In reply to dazmac:
> one of the things bugging me with the Zeta was the hood i like a hood attached permantly.

Is the ZETA hood detachable? If so I wouldn't get it for that reason. I just think that detachable hoods don't work on belay jackets when what you are wearing under them is likely to be hooded. See this review for example: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1564

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...