UKC

Device to help put on and take off rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ns1234 12 Sep 2017
I am intending on making a device to help lift, carry and put down a rucksack. It could also be used to provide support and rest whilst out walking. I would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thank you!
 tspoon1981 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

If my bag is that heavy I need assistance I'd probably try and lighten my load or ask a climbing partner. Also, if my bag is already monstrously heavy, would your device add weight?
 john arran 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

A walking pole attachment on the base of the bag, that you can fix a pole to while standing with the bag on, and use to pivot the bag down and up again from the floor.
 Doug 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Isn't that a sherpa ? (although maybe 'device' isn't a polite term)
 Sir Chasm 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

How about some sort of hinged apparatus with a grabbing mechanism at the end? Maybe used as one of a pair?
 Jimbo C 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

I already own a pair of such devices. Otherwise called legs

But joking aside, if you are looking for feedback on your project, you should give a few more details, like how was the need for such a device identified, and who would the target market be. It sounds like any such product would be very 'niche'. Would it, for example, be targeted at assisting people with mobility issues / muscle weakness. Otherwise, keep it simple and lightweight - e.g. would an extra carry handle somewhere on the bag help people to lift it?
 Robert Durran 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Shoulder straps?
 Wingnut 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Is this a school project? It sounds a bit like it.

As for the actual question, a rucksack-carrying drone* or lots of helium balloons. Alternatively, take a slightly wider view of the problem and ask yourself what you are trying to carry and whether there's a better way of doing it, not necessarily involving a rucksack?

(*These already exist. Yaks, donkeys, camels or courier companies, depending on whereabouts in the world you happen to be.)
 blurty 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

A convenient boulder/ fence/ small child etc?
 Goucho 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

> I am intending on making a device to help lift, carry and put down a rucksack. It could also be used to provide support and rest whilst out walking. I would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thank you!

Either lean against a wall/boulder/tree, or just sit down.

I think you maybe looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist
In reply to Ns1234:

It is a problem that exists. In places like Nepal etc where often goods are carried by person and can weigh silly amounts (we saw a guy carrying a large fridge on his back at 3000m!). In those places there are specially built spots in the villages for onloading/offloading/resting. They are just 2-3ft high flat topped platforms! :p Hard to see how you could make that portable though
 Brass Nipples 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

A chair or bench or table or boulder or wall you mean?

summo 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

I have two such devices already. I appreciate that not everyone has these, but most do.
 broken spectre 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Another project could be a map case that doesn't throttle the owner when it spins round in high winds when worn around the neck? This is a genuine problem I have with my case.
 tspoon1981 12 Sep 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

> Another project could be a map case that doesn't throttle the owner when it spins round in high winds when worn around the neck? This is a genuine problem I have with my case.

I tend to thread the cord through the zipper pull and either have the map in my chest pocket or under my rucksack shoulder strap, which stops the whole strangling issue.

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Kit-Map-Case.aspx
 Fraser 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

I'm calling troll.
cb294 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Forklift?

CB
 DerwentDiluted 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Can I suggest these names? for the civillian market perhaps 'Ruck-off', and for the military market 'Ber-gone'.
 olddirtydoggy 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

I use a slave.
 Dave the Rave 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

You could invent Handsies, that go on the end of some Armsies type of thing?
In reply to Ns1234:

Perhaps you can make it more realistic and useful by targetting those who have a disability like stroke survivors who still want to get out and about. No one will buy something like this if they are able bodied so it's a pointless project.
 nige w 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I think you are suggesting something like 'stroke assist', probably already available elsewhere on the internet
 ablackett 12 Sep 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

I tend to use a waterproof map and hold it in my hand.
 Chris Harris 12 Sep 2017
In reply to nige w:

> I think you are suggesting something like 'stroke assist', probably already available elsewhere on the internet

I'm not Googling that at work.....
In reply to nige w:

I am, but nothing useful comes up when I search for that. Looks like this could be a useful product in that case if anything comes of it.
 tspoon1981 12 Sep 2017
In reply to ablackett:

I'd probably get bored of holding it after a while.
 Dell 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Just to make this device even more useful and pointless, make sure whatever it is can easily be dismantled and placed into a rucksack after use.
 Jim Walton 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Dell:

I was thinking that, where do you carry it when not in use?
 spartacus 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:
What about a dog rucksack? It could take all the heavy stuff.
 Tam O'Bam 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Ns1234:

Mrs. Trellis of North Wales might be able to help you out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...