UKC

DMM - to extend or not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sparra 13 Aug 2013
I've got DMM 4CU cams with which you can extend the tape (similar to their torque nuts).

I see people just about always put a quickdraw on instead/as well - what's the point in an extendable tape if you use a draw anyway (unless it's way off line or deep of course)?
woody0606 13 Aug 2013
In reply to sparra: I rarely put a draw on as well, unless it really needs it. The idea is that you can save draws, and therefore carry less/have more left for nut placements.
 SteveoS 13 Aug 2013
In reply to sparra:

Why wouldn't you extend it? Reduces the chance of them walking for one.
OP sparra 13 Aug 2013
That's my dilemma right there:

Why wouldn't you / save draws
 Timmd 13 Aug 2013
In reply to sparra:

I suppose you could put your own knotted slings on which are longer and save on draws and extend them too?
 jkarran 13 Aug 2013
In reply to sparra:

> I see people just about always put a quickdraw on instead/as well - what's the point in an extendable tape if you use a draw anyway (unless it's way off line or deep of course)?

*Some* people add a quickdraw as well.

Personally I do as I see fit based on the run of the rope, the placement, how much drag I can tolerate vs how much gear I have left... Sometimes that's clipping the rope to the doubled cam sling, sometimes to the extended cam sling, sometimes I add a quickdraw and occasionally a long sling extension. Don't automatically take what other people do as 'right', often they just copy each other without much thought which doesn't always produce the best results.

The 'point' from a technical perspective is it cheaply, simply and robustly provides you with options. Extended they can often save you a quickdraw which is worthwhile on a long pitch. The other point is it's a value adding feature, useful when it comes to selling your product in a busy marketplace.

jk
 Steve nevers 13 Aug 2013
In reply to sparra: It all depends on the placement really.

If its bomber and fairly close to the line i'm following i'd simply extend the tape and clip. If i'm not happy with it but it'll have to do i'll extend the sh*t out of it with a hefty length QD. But say 7 out of 10 times the extended tape seems to be fine.
 JoshOvki 13 Aug 2013
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to sparra)
>
> [...]
>
>
> Personally I do as I see fit based on the run of the rope, the placement, how much drag I can tolerate vs how much gear I have left...

We will have less of this personal judgment business thank you! Hard and fast rules only from now on.
 stewieatb 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:
> If its bomber and fairly close to the line i'm following i'd simply extend the tape and clip. If i'm not happy with it but it'll have to do i'll extend the sh*t out of it with a hefty length QD.

Why does the quality of the placement, and not just its location, change how much you would extend it?
 Malt_Loaf 13 Aug 2013
In reply to stewieatb: If the placement is slightly marginal, I'd extend the cam to stop it walking/moving and become completely marginal/useless.

I assume that's what Steve meant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...