UKC

"Do it all" Mountaineering Pants?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 R_Shents 10 Oct 2019

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of "do it all" mountaineering pants for skiing, winter climbing, alpine climbing etc...? 

I have seen a similar thread in the past however the majority of the pants that were recommended are now discontinued. 

I have used Simond Mountaineering softshell pants this year and found them great for climbing but when used for skiing they seemed to wet out quickly after sitting on chair lifts. I would prefer a more waterproof pant- not overly fussed about insulation, I'd rather layer up than wear something too hot. 

Anyone got any recommendations? 

Cheers

it624 10 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents:

Your desire for "more waterproof, not too hot" is a little tricky to fulfil. For winter I always go with a pair of softshells (Rab Torque are my favourite), Nikwaxed to the max, and then have leggings underneath, and add hardshells on top when it's wet. In summer alpine stuff, I'll just wear the softshells unless it's really cold.

I know this layering system isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's a lot more like what you need imo.

damowilk 10 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents:

I love the Montane Alpine Stretch pants, enough that I bought 3 pairs in case they discontinue them! They are a lighter, more breathable soft shell, probably don’t meet your more waterproof criteria, but I’m not sure that’s possible with the other points.

They are great ski touring trousers, and good for mountaineering and older weather tramping. Zip pockets, and just enough of a zip extender on the legs to get over ski boots.

ScottTalbot 10 Oct 2019
In reply to it624:

I love my Torque Pants, but am interested in your "Nikwaxed to the max" comment!? What's your process for this? Just curious, as I've never bothered. I just accepted that they aren't as water resistant as some other walking trousers.

Post edited at 10:47
 HammondR 10 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents: I think lateral thinking is needed here. I have repeatedly suffered from damp bum in the last 5 ski seasons in in circumstances as you describe. To date my best solution has been to wear undies that dry quickly and remain warm when soggy (such as merino).

i am now considering a more radical solution. It relies on a lack of self consciousness. I aim to experiment with waterproof mountain biking shorts over my soft shell trousers when much damp chairlift action is in prospect, but hard shell trousers are not required due to associated uphill plans.

it might work. I'll be easy to spot....

geordiepie 10 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents:

ME Mission trousers might be worth a look. They have a mix of membrane (in seat and knees) and non-membrane softshell, so are a decent compromise between breathability and protection. 

I’ve used them skiing and winter climbing and found them pretty good

it624 10 Oct 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I never wash them in anything except Gear Wash (the one with the green top), and then about 1in3 washes I follow it up straight away with a wash in the softshell proofer. They don't keep water out like a hardshell, but they're fine in snow and showers. They're also water-resistant enough to get the hardshells on before getting too soaked in a sudden downpour!

In reply to R_Shents:

> I have used Simond Mountaineering softshell pants this year and found them great for climbing but when used for skiing they seemed to wet out quickly after sitting on chair lifts.

Unless you're skiing in rain, or late season, then the most likely reason for getting a wet bum is that the snow you're sitting on is melting. The solution to that is insulation on the bum. It will keep your bum warm, too...

I use some home-made salopette liners, that are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Alternatively, there are designs for home-made bum pads, made from 'camping mat' foam, intended for use by snowboarders. Or even commercial pads.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&q=diy+bum+pad+snowboard

https://vontroba.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/bumpad.pdf

Post edited at 20:16
 jethro kiernan 10 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents:

I managed to pick up some hybrid Arcteryx pants off sport pursuit, waterproof Arse and thighs, soft shell elsewhere, great winter pants with the best of both worlds I think mountain equipment did something similar.

Robert Durran 10 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents:

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of "do it all" mountaineering pants.

Just get a multipack from your local supermarket (briefs, boxers or trunks - whichever you prefer) and wear them under whatever pair of mountaineering trousers you have. Generally works out at about £2 per pair so pretty much disposable when heavily shit soiled after a few days on the hill.

Post edited at 23:08
 tjin 11 Oct 2019
In reply to damowilk:

If you like the Simond softshell one, they also have a hardshell version. I have both of the older versions and they work just fine. 

Pina 11 Oct 2019
In reply to R_Shents:

I'm partial to merino boxers when it comes to pants...

ScottTalbot 11 Oct 2019
In reply to it624:

Ah! That's probably where I'm going wrong. I wash them weekly on a normal delicates wash (with normal non-bio), as I practically live in them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...