UKC

down jacket repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 14 Jan 2013
Help! I've just torn a 7-8 cm tear in the back of my lovely down jacket (its a Rab Infinity Endurance). There is no material actually missing, and I've managed to stop it losing too much down. Ive covered it with gaffa tape for now to stop any more getting out, but it wont last if I actually wear it.

Can anyone recommend how people who will repair it or a good way to do it myself, or somewhere its possible to buy spare patch material - Pertex Quantum GL I think?

Thanks!
OP Si dH 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH:
Sorry, should have said "recommend people who will repair it..."
 A Reid 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH:

Rab will repair it. Email the customer service guys, they're very helpful!
 ti.williams 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH:
http://www.imagescotland.com/scottishmountaingear-home.asp

these guys repaired my patagonia DAS parka really well, and would usually work out at a cheaper price than sending it back to the manufacturer.
 Dan Arkle 14 Jan 2013
Stitch it up fairly loosely, with no (or little) overlap then cover all the stitching and join with a flexible adhesive such as seamgrip or aquasure (highly reccomended). The glue provides much of the strength, the stitching holds it in place as it dries.
It wont look amazing, and you'll probably get some down caught up in the glue, but it will be a strong repair.

Small blobs of aquasure can be used to seal small holes without stitching.
Keep your aquasure in the freezer after opening so it doesn't go off before you use it again.
 lumu_tit 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH: spinnaker repair tape is fantastic if you do it yourself. round off any corners and the repair should last.
 lost1977 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH:

my down jacket has been duct taped for probably 10 yesrs
 jamesclimbing 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH: I would send it to rab this is a link http://rab.uk.com/files/repairsform.pdf
 happy_c 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH: My Generator has been held together with tenacious tape since the first week i got it! Not pertex e.g. breathable but it does the trick , for a hole that size i would be too worried about using the exact material, either way your going to notic its been repaired!
OP Si dH 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH:
Thanks for the responses all. I've emailed Rab.

I don't want to do a very obvious bodge-job, I'd really like to make the repair as inconspicuous as possible as I like to wear it out and about and to work when its cold (to the extent that I still have an old, tatty & dirty Neutrino Endurance that I still wear to the crag so that I can just chuck it around - the plan was to swap them when that one finally dies, and now it looks like the new one is dying first having had very little abuse)
 jamesclimbing 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH: they are good guys at rab ask for mark he dose all the repairs
 GridNorth 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Si dH: I repaired my Rab down jacket with these: http://www.waterproofingworld.com/mcnett-tenacious-patches-211

I also used them on the crampon tears in my softshell trousers which get a lot of abuse and they have been there for several years.
 Jenny C 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
> Keep your aquasure in the freezer after opening so it doesn't go off before you use it again.

Excellent advice there.

Regarding repairs sending it to Rab would be my choice, although I know people with Gaffa tape repairs that have lasted for years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...