UKC

Durable rubber shafts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve got a couple of mountaineering axes with smooth metal shafts. These are a little slippery and I would like to add some rubber to the base to make them easier to hold.

I have tried self amalgamating tape, but that doesn’t last very long.

Has anyone got any suggestions for durable solutions, other than sell them and buy a Grivel Airtech instead? 

99ster 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Old mountain bike inner tubes...?

finc00 19 Jun 2020

Old bike inner tube + cable ties/ glue/ tape/ preferred way of attaching.

marsbar 19 Jun 2020

I haven't tried it but I've seen something called plasti dip which looks like a fun way to make a mess.  

FactorXXX 19 Jun 2020

Haven't tried it, but heat shrink sleeve might do the trick.  

It ain't pretty but sticksall or silicone sealant. 

Alternatively, put double sided tape on the shaft before the sa tape, stops a nick becoming a tear. 

Mark Stevenson 19 Jun 2020

Anti-slip spray paint?

Not a great fan of taping up axes so have never really gotten around to doing anything much on mine.

I haven't tried it but have previously considered whether high friction paint might be useful compromise option. Use on tool handles is specifically mentioned in the blurb for a couple of versions I've seen online. 

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Haven't tried it, but heat shrink sleeve might do the trick.

Heat shrink isn't very grippy, though. At least the versions we use in electronics.

kingborris 19 Jun 2020

Sugru? 

Just remembered skateboard grip tape, there was a trend for this a while ago, gloves don't last long though. 

Rob Parsons 19 Jun 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Haven't tried it, but heat shrink sleeve might do the trick.  

That would be completely slick.

My (untried) suggestion is the 'roll-on' sleeving which is used to provide the the grip on handles of cricket bats.

Post edited at 20:47
 Basemetal 19 Jun 2020
In reply to 9Tom Ripley:

> Old mountain bike inner tubes...?

Spirally cut the MTB inner into 1" wide tape ( a lot easier than it sounds) and wrap the shaft like a bike handlebar. No glue needed, the ends can be stretched and tucked under. You can add a simple 3/4" loop cut from the tube for extra security if you want.

I use it on my Apexes. 3 seasons (well, 2 and a half...)so far and no loosening. Gives an excellent wet grip and really reduces heat loss. Easy, cheap and warm. Just ask a bike shop for old inners from their bin if you don't have any.

FactorXXX 19 Jun 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Heat shrink isn't very grippy, though. At least the versions we use in electronics.

The stuff we use in work has a texture to it which should provide grip.
Not sure what make it is, but assume that it comes from RS.

top cat 20 Jun 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

The heat shrink with texture mentioned above is perfect.  Use a spray glue on the shaft before applying.   Get some that is wide enough to clear any local fat bits around the spike area of the axe (common in tech axes)

Standard heat shrink also works if you use a sanding machine with coarse grit, lightly applied, after fitting. This texture can be refreshed a number of times.

Choose a colour to match your eyes. Or whatever 

Dr.S at work 20 Jun 2020

I got this kit online:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clone-Willy-Realistic-Vibrator-Silicone/dp/B010CYX...

Chopped off the tip and pushed the shaft of my axes inside after coating them in epoxy. Seems to fit my right hand well and give good grip but a bit weird with the left.

I’ll get me coat.

nniff 20 Jun 2020

Plasti Dip or similar rubber tool coating

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...