UKC

E-vent or Goretex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 walkingOn 09 Nov 2013
I know the jackets are very different but if you had a choice between a rab alpine latock or a mountain equipment ogre goretex which would you pick ?
 abr1966 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: always goretex for me...have had a vouple of e-vent jackets but font overate them for uk winter conditions.
needvert 09 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:
> (In reply to walkingOn) always goretex for me...have had a vouple of e-vent jackets but font overate them for uk winter conditions.

In what aspect did goretex rate higher than event?

(Forecasted rain tomorrow, might get to try out my new neoshell jacket

CarolineMc 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: I have both, look after them equally well and they perform similarly in all winter and 'summer' conditions So it's usually the best fit and best value for money that I go for. Like the look of the new Montane eVent jacket. Weighs in at about 450g with a longish fit. Co:
 neuromancer 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:

The typical quoted differences are that pro shell is more durable, but less breathable than event.

I've found that to be, roughly, true.

I've not tried the new GTX Pro though.
 abr1966 09 Nov 2013
In reply to needvert:
> (In reply to abr1966)
> [...]
>
> In what aspect did goretex rate higher than event?
>
>
> (Forecasted rain tomorrow, might get to try out my new neoshell jacket

I've found goretex to be more robust and needs less looking after. Im not the best ay proofing etc and have founf horetex maintains perfoance wheres a-vent has been poor on occasions. Ive also found the goretx to be yoigher on winter climbing etc
 woolsack 09 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:
> (In reply to needvert)
> [...]
>
> I've found goretex to be more robust and needs less looking after. Im not the best ay proofing etc and have founf horetex maintains perfoance wheres a-vent has been poor on occasions. Ive also found the goretx to be yoigher on winter climbing etc

posted on my iPhone
 Wee Davie 09 Nov 2013
In reply to woolsack:

So horetex is yoigher on winter climbing?
 abr1966 09 Nov 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to abr1966)
> [...]
>
> posted on my iPhone

Yep....thanks!
 TheseKnivesMan 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:

I have had 2 eVent jackets and I've not been very impressed with either. I took the utmost brand-recommended care of them often as I could but they both wet so quickly. Maybe I got unlucky with defective DWR or face fabric but I doubt it. I would go gore-tex if you were choosing between the two.

I myself just use a Mountain Hardware Plamsic jacket made out of their thin 2 layer fabric and it works just as well. Stays in the pack a lot of the time though.
 jezb1 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: I've had 3 eVent items, 2 different brands, both v disappointing and even looking after them they just do not last long enough in terms of waterproofness.

Back to Gore next time I think.
ice.solo 09 Nov 2013
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

Worth noting the MHWs DryQ is the event membrane with their own facings/DWR.
Its been well recieved suggesting event has problems when used as itself
 DaveHK 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:

I agree with a lot of what's above.

I've had an eVent jacket and gloves and was pretty disappointed with the durability of both.

Shan't be having another.
 Alex Slipchuk 09 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: tweed for the hardcore
needvert 10 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:

Been pretty happy with my eVent jacket. Tore a few holes in it, but it was 2 layer eVent that I wanted for lightness, was an expected limitation.

All my eVent stuff has been from manufacturers with good reputations (Macpac, Integral Designs). Surprised you guys have had jackets that fail at their intended goal given eVent stuff tends to be the top end of the market and command a top end price.
OP walkingOn 10 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: I have had similar results to what people has said.. e-vent doesn't seem that robust and wets out very quickly even though i've followed the care conditions very carefully. The Pro Shell Goretex on the other had has fantastic water repellency and seems to be built of what I can only describe as stronger stuff that can take more abuse and bounce back after such abuse.

Further I cant tell the difference between e-vent and goretex when it comes to breathable quality of the fabric.

ashbid 10 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: i would go me all the way much better build quality.i would also look at the montane fast alpine stretch jacket much nicer and better fit!
 iksander 10 Nov 2013
In reply to The Big Man:
> (In reply to walkingOn) tweed for the hardcore

or ventile

David Gainor 10 Nov 2013
e-vent is rubbish, don't bother with it. Terrible in the long term. Get gore-tex, ideally pro, and if you're really concerned about breathability make sure the jacket has pit zips.
 Alex Slipchuk 12 Nov 2013
In reply to iksander:
> (In reply to The Big Man)
> [...]
>
> or ventile

I'm liking that
 Niall_H 12 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:
I've had a eVent jacket (a Montane Fly) for several years as my hiking and general-purpose waterproof, and haven't had any problems with it in terms of waterproofness or breathability: I'll certainly consider another eVent jacket, when it wears out.
 SFM 12 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:
I have had the former for many years now and whilst I'm generally happy with it, when I come to replace it I'll get one thing like the latter.

Why?
I find Event far colder than Gore Tex. apparently this is due to the difference in how they process water vapour(pull vs push).
Pit zips. They work far far better than "venting" mesh pockets. So want a jacket with them.
Gore seem to have evolved or pushed forward again. I haven't seen similar advances from Event.
 Ridge 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Niall_H:
> (In reply to walkingOn)
> I've had a eVent jacket (a Montane Fly) for several years as my hiking and general-purpose waterproof, and haven't had any problems with it in terms of waterproofness or breathability: I'll certainly consider another eVent jacket, when it wears out.

Mrs Ridge has had a Rab (Corrie?)jacket in eVent for the last 8yrs. Getting tatty now bt she's been impressed with it.
 Ridge 12 Nov 2013
In reply to SFM:
> (In reply to walkingOn)

> Gore seem to have evolved or pushed forward again. I haven't seen similar advances from Event.

How much of that is hype? Goretex must be on it's 300th version by now, suggesting the early stuff wasn't much cop in reality. (I had an early Goretex, very solid face fabric but not particularly, if at all, breathable IMHO. Put me off the membrane completely).

+1 on pit zips, wouldn't buy a membrane jacket without them, no matter how breathable the manufacturer claims it is.
 mutt 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Ridge: eVent because its much more breathable and you can wash it. MB
 peas65 14 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:

My rab momentum breathed lots but also wasnt very waterproof. Wasnt impressed with event at all
 Alpenglow 15 Nov 2013
In reply to mutt: Pretty sure you can wash Gore-tex...
 CurlyStevo 15 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn: event isnt quite as durable but I find it waterproof and breathes well. dwr works same as gore for me but I ignore washing instructions and regularly wash it BUT ONLY in pure soap flakes! on the plus side event is cheaper.
simmcc 22 Nov 2013
In reply to walkingOn:

I've had the Montane Superfly (which is E-vent) for six years. I use it 12 months of the year and have never had a problem with it yet. It keeps me dry and has good breathability. I wash it in clean water, no detergents, never iron it as instructed. Twice a year I wash it in Nikwax tech and TX direct.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...