UKC

Enlightened Equipment Down Quilt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chmusar 05 Sep 2018

I have a rab 900 sleeping bag and I am thinking of replacing with a EE Quilt , has anyone moved to a Quilt from a sleeping bag especially for using in winter in the UK , I am a side sleeper and I do use a exped down mat but always feel restricted.

Cheers

Jonny 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Chmusar:

I haven't used a purpose-built quilt, but I have experimented with an unzipped sleeping back as a free simulation. In less cold temperatures, it worked really well, and you find yourself better auto-regulating your temperature, without waking up chilly or overheating. But in winter it's just too draughty - just a slight breath of air robs you of all your heat.

Perhaps an elasticated cuff that tucks under the mat will make all the difference, but then I doubt you'll feel less restricted than in a beeping slag.

Post edited at 17:03
 tehmarks 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Chmusar:

I have, but not for UK winter; I replaced my sleeping bag with a Nunatak down quilt (comfort 20F) and have used it everywhere from the Peak District in all seasons to summer alpine bivis. I wouldn't go back to a sleeping bag. It's much more comfortable in warm temperatures, no colder in cold temperatures (though the Nunatak quilts have a clever strap system that lets you close it up to your sleeping mat and keeps draughts out which helps), lighter, less bulky and takes up less room in my pack.

Was comfortably warm bivying on the Glacier Blanc with it this summer without wearing extra layers, and I'd quite happily use it for colder outings paired with a belay jacket.

Luke90 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Chmusar:

If you end up selling the bag, it might be worth talking to Russell Lovett:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/emansmoer_down_sleeping_bags-692319#...

Dave Cundy 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Chmusar:

I made the move to a quilt last summer.  I made a plain quilt and then modified it three times, based on experience.

If you buy one really wide, say 1.5m at the head end, then you will not suffer from draughts and you won't need straps to hold it in place. But it will be just as bulky as a sleeping bag.

If you buy one that is only 1.0m wide, it will move with you, so you will suffer badly from draughts. The benefit of less bulk is not worth the loss of effectiveness.

I've ended up designing a quilt 1.2m wide but adding flaps, that go under the mat, to prevent draughts. That works just fine down to 8 degs C but I suspect that in winter, you will need more width.

Pan Ron 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Chmusar:

Can't claim to much outdoor adventuring but I've been sleeping under an Enlightened Equipment quilt for the last 4 months.

Definitely preferable to a bag in my opinion and you don't wake up all twisted. Obvious caveat that it needs a mat of some type. Only annoyances have been that it is so light and slippery that unless tied down with its attachments it can slide right off you, and on my version there is a draw string toggle right at the centre of the top which slaps your face a bit. I think that may have been moved on later versions. 

OP Chmusar 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Pan Ron:

Cheers , which version do you have

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...