UKC

Equipment innovations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 07 Aug 2017
Writing a uni report on a recent innovation to a product that has led to an improvement in resource efficiency. Naturally I thought about climbing gear becoming lighter. In case I have overlooked some, what are some of your favourite recent innovations?
 MG 07 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

Powerful LEDs
 nniff 08 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

Ice screws that do what they say on the tin. Recent in the context of the overall age of the sport. The concept of being able to place a dozen screws in a pitch would have been bonkers before their advent.
Helmets - lighter ones have made them almost universal, being in many cases an additional burden scarcely worth bothering about.
 summo 08 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

Spork
 summo 08 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

I'll give you another. Tents. Fabric, design i.e.. dome shaped, poles that flex....

Anyone who camped 30-40 years ago in old force tents will appreciated just how far they've come.
 Toerag 08 Aug 2017
In reply to summo:

> I'll give you another. Tents. Fabric, design i.e.. dome shaped, poles that flex....

> Anyone who camped 30-40 years ago in old force tents will appreciated just how far they've come.

I camped in a 39 year old Force Ten last week - I can't help think that a modern version would be really quite good and competitive.
 Greasy Prusiks 08 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

Twin axel cams mean you can cover the same range as a single axel set but with one less cam.
 Dell 08 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

The Jetboil, brewing up on the go has never been so quick and easy.
 Billhook 09 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

Those two nice sticks I got at xmas to rub together and make flames!
Bserk 09 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

what is your definition of recent?

I'd say GoreTex...huge impact. Maybe not recent enough for you?
 Tim Davies 09 Aug 2017
In reply to tingle:

Dynafit (pin) type bindings for ski mountaineering.
Cut kilos off the weight/ mass of equipment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...