UKC

Exped Down Mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doghouse 16 Aug 2018

I'm thinking of getting one of these but was wondering has their "noiseness" issues been solved in the latest versions?  My dusty memory seems to recall it has ... . .

cb294 17 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

I just used a ME Aerostat down mat for a three week trip to northern Sweden. No noise at all, not slippery, best mat ever! It uses Exped valves, but the mat surface material and the cut of the baffles is different and IMO a big improvement over the Exped mats.

CB

OP Doghouse 17 Aug 2018
In reply to cb294:

Thanks!

Anyone any recent experience of the Exped?

RR 17 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

Never had noise problems with my Exped down mat (9 or ?). I have a Thermarest Xtrem with similar R-value that is noisy, but in newer versions the in the noise problem seems solved. 

ben b 17 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

Down mats have always been quite AFAIK.

The Neo-Airs though are another matter.

b

JSTaylor 18 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

Have two Exped downmats and they are noiseless, as previous poster suggests, you are probably confusing these with the crisp bag noisy neo airs.

Bluebird 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

I’ve got x3 Exped UL downmats and they are as noisy as f*ck. I’ve had them for about 4 years. I think it must be the face material on them that “squeaks” when you lay on it in a bag. Would be interested to see if new iterations have fixed this problem because other than this the mat is extraordinary.

Pinch'a'salt 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

I have a 2015 version UL 9 LW and have never noticed any 'noise' issues...

It did however explode (almost literally) during the middle of the night on a recent trip spraying down throughout the tent, which was 'nice'. Still waiting for Lyon customer services to come back to me on this after I sent it back...

london_huddy 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

My downmat is as quiet as any mat I've had. On the other hand, my wife has banned my Neoair from our backpacking trips because of how crinkly it sounds.

OP Doghouse 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

My mate had one which was as noisy as f*ck - kept me awake even though he was 10 yards away in a different tent! Hence my questions )

Simon Caldwell 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

The noise seems to be from the mat moving against the groundsheet, so can vary from silent to wake-you-up depending on the tent being used.

Post edited at 12:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...