UKC

Fabric glue repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Anthony CHC 26 Oct 2020

Hello,

Recently washed my jacket to clean and reactive the DWR on it. Done it before with the same setting but now the cuffs have somehow delaminated(?) and my sleeves have gained an extra two inches of material that i want to glue back in.

Anyone have any recommendation or experience gluing in a similar fashion?

Thanks

Basemetal 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Anthony CHC:

What's it made of?

OP Anthony CHC 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

TNF Apex Aerobic and Schoeller softshell fabric. Wanting to glue these two together

Hood, Shoulders & Body: 70D 229g/m², 90% nylon/10% Spandex Schoeller Fabric, brushed back with DWR Under Arms: 50D, 125g/m², 87% nylon/13% elastane, 4way stretch TNF Apex Aerobic with DWR.

I am thinking i might be able to use an Iron at low temps to get it to bond again

Toerag 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Anthony CHC:

I'd ask / complain to the manufacturer.

OP Anthony CHC 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Toerag:

The  jacket is over 5 years old so beyond warranty but i will try to contact them anyway, thanks

LastBoyScout 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Anthony CHC:

I've just used this to re-stick some detached taping on the inside of one of my old jackets:

https://www.bison.net/en/product.2823

Worked well. Best to paint it on with a small, stiff paintbrush - in your case, really work it into the material. 

Post edited at 12:09
 skygod78 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Anthony CHC:

Have you considered repairing it with a sewing machine? I had the hem of an Arcteryx Goretex jacket delaminate, I put it on the sewing machine an stitched it back together,  how waterproof do you need the hem of a jacket to be ? No chance of it coming apart again in the wash either. 

In reply to LastBoyScout:

looks like the type of thing i need thanks! i may give this a go

In reply to skygod78:

I am not good with a sewing machine but it was not stitched before so i do not feel as if it needs it. i have also just discovered the cord cover for the hood has also delaminated so that would also need patched anyway. the sewing of the area would be quite difficult from the looks of it.

Thanks for the advice though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...