UKC

Favourite shoes are discontinued.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 28 Aug 2019

So the Scarpa Boostics are no more and i hear rumours Miura VS are going the same way. Can anyone reccomend a similar shoe please? Preferably with leather heels so they mould a little easier and stiff.

The reject list so far:

Instinct VS

Vapour V

Otaki

Kataki

Miura Lace

Shaman

Anything 5.10

Cheers folks

Post edited at 14:25
Nempnett Thrubwell 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Have you considered re-soling them - if they really are a favourite?

Climber_Bill 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Miura VS. Really? Oh no. They were my replacement for the blancos, although different, they work really well for me.

Where did you hear this? Hopefully it's just a rumour.

OP Tigger 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

Oh certainly but that's not a permanent solution, I've also panic bought 2 pairs.

Nempnett Thrubwell 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

That should do you for a year - then there will be a new range - with a different name, but essentially the same shoe - with a 20% price hike.

yoshi.h 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Not an edging shoe per se but the la sportiva skwama does it all for me. Best all round shoes for both sport and bouldering for me. Very comfortable if they fit you too.

OP Tigger 28 Aug 2019
In reply to yoshi.h:

No luck there either sadly.

Carless 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Have a look at the Tenaya range  https://tenaya.net/en/climbing-shoes

I'm a great fan of the Ras as they're exactly my footshape

airborne 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

The Miura VS is not being discontinued. Categorical.

Climber_Bill 28 Aug 2019
In reply to airborne:

Phew! Thanks for confirming. Oh, well, I've got a few pairs for the next year or so now anyway

TJB.

MischaHY 28 Aug 2019
In reply to airborne:

Was about to say, I'd be amazed if this happened. Absolute beast of a shoe, although I'd love an updated model with more toe rubber! 

OP Tigger 29 Aug 2019
In reply to airborne:

Thanks for confirming, I just heard from one popular climbing shop and had a hint from a reputable resoler that it might be the case.

OP Tigger 29 Aug 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

A true lace up version of it would be good though, the Miura lace with a P3 and a little wider.  And reinforcement of the material that holds the metal loops ( I usually reinforce mine with glue).

OP Tigger 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Climber_Bill:

Same here, i got a couple of new pairs at a good price and have a 3 more pairs that have have a resole or three.

slab_happy 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

> A true lace up version of it would be good though, the Miura lace with a P3 and a little wider. 

Not wider, but otherwise that's the Miura XX (technically a limited edition, I think, but still easy to buy online) -- Miura VS but with laces.

Ian Patterson 29 Aug 2019
In reply to slab_happy:

> Not wider, but otherwise that's the Miura XX (technically a limited edition, I think, but still easy to buy online) -- Miura VS but with laces.

Great shoe, I've got a couple of pairs still going, one perfectly worn in, another nearly ready for a resole.  Not sure they're easy to find online now, my last pair came from Germany last year and when I looked recently I was struggling to find my size.

Similar in some ways to Miura VS with laces but are quite a bit narrower/lower volume.

OP Tigger 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Ian Patterson:

Yea i think my feet are on the wider side, Miura VS are a little narrow but stretch enough. I tried the XX a couple of years ago but the fit was too narrow. Although a less aggressive shoe I could try the katana lace, should be good for slate etc... I just prefer agressive shoes as I have high arches and I find them comfy.

Wayne S 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

I have wide feet and oddly have always done very will with the katana lace (2 sizes down from 5.10/Street sizing) that said I find the kataki very similar and it looks like you have tried these.  

climber34neil 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Unparallel regulas

neuromancer 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

People keep saying they have "wide feet" and then "I like Anasazi Blancos and boostics and katana laces".

If you have wide feet you actually can't get into these. You have normal feet. If you fit blancos well you have narrow feet.

Wide feet are Ocun Wides, Instinct / Stix's, Miura VS e.t.c.

Pretty much anything 5.10, Tenaya, Most La Sportiva, Lots of the modern Scarpas (furias are much narrower than instincts) is unwearable in a performance fit.

The closest thing to a Miura VS that's also wide fitting is an Instinct VS. Similar thickness, similar rubber, similar asymmetry, wide forefoot.

Post edited at 14:56
 Tyler 30 Aug 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

> Wide feet are Ocun Wides, Instinct / Stix's, Miura VS e.t.c.

Did you mean to suggest the Miura VS is a wide lasted shoe? That's not my experience at all

spidermonkey09 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Ian Patterson:

I have no idea why these are not a thing more generally. Its the only major problem with the Miura, the lack of P3; if Sportiva started making them en masse they'd sell a truckload. 

neuromancer 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Tyler:

La Sportiva themselves advertise the Miura VS as one of their widest last shoes.

They are still narrower than an instinct for a given length. They are, however, wider than anything else quoted here as a "wide shoe". That said, anything can be a "wide-fitting shoe". I could put a street shoe size solution on with a pair of bridgedales.

OP Tigger 30 Aug 2019
In reply to neuromancer

I agree on most point except Boostic's, I'd say they're as wide as Miura VS's an the toes box fits me very similar to Instincts. I'd personally say the Boostic is like a refined Miura VS.

Tyler 30 Aug 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

I never knew that, I'd certainly advise anyone with narrow feet to not be it off, I've been wearing them for 6 or 7 years and they are an ideal fit for my narrow feet.

ElArt 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Seems like commercial suicide to discontinue some of the most popular and no doubt profitable lines but I remember the Nike Air Pegasus stopping when they were such a great shoe. 

Does anyone know why the big firms let them go? 

Ian Parsons 31 Aug 2019
In reply to ElArt:

Original blue/green Asolo Runouts?

remus Global Crag Moderator 31 Aug 2019
In reply to ElArt:

> Seems like commercial suicide to discontinue some of the most popular and no doubt profitable lines...

But it worked so well for 5.10!

ElArt 01 Sep 2019
In reply to remus:

Yep proves it’s all about the money!

neuromancer 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Boostics are a narrower last than Instincts  - but you could be right on miuras.  Grab an equal pair the next time you're in a shop. Boostics are more like the Furia / Drago e.t.c last than the Stix / Instinct Last.

OP Tigger 02 Sep 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

Ive ended up with mixed messages tbh. When I emailed Scarpa i was told that the Boostic was discontinued, however I got talking to a very helpful guy who works for Scarpa at the wall. He said it will continue to be produced but not imported in to the UK. So I will hopefully be able to pick them up from EU shops online. And yea the Furia, Mago and Chimera are all built on the same last as the Boostic and fit me well but are sadly much softer shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...