Loading Notifications...

Fibre Pile

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Andy Hardy 20:17 Thu

Are there any manufacturers making this stuff any more? (for reference I'm thinking of the old point north / helly hanson type stuff)

Doug 20:22 Thu
 Andy Hardy 20:29 Thu
In reply to Doug:

Cheers 

Are there any brands making fibre pile jackets?

65 20:43 Thu
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I think Helly Hansen still do pile clothing.

mcawle 20:45 Thu
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Mountain Equipment 'Moreno' jacket, Patagonia 'Retro Pile' jacket. Presumably others. I don't own any but FYI.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

I still use a Helly Double Pile Jacket in bottle green from 1988. It’s long list it’s smooth surface but is still warm. Think I paid £35 from Joe Royle, Hanley. A lovely shop that was.

Is their a Renaissance for pile? Hope you find one

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yes you need a261 field jacket  by HH

isiting Adress: Unit G3(A) Birkbeck House, Colliers Way, Phoenix Park, NG8 6AT NOTTINGHAM

Postal Address:

Phone : E-com Sales and Order Inquiries: 0800 142 2210

Phone 2 : Warranties: +44 115 979 5997

Helly Hansen UK Ltd is a limited company (registered number 791202) and our registered office is at Unit G3(A), Birkbeck House, Colliers Way, Phoenix Park, Nottingham, NG8 6A

Andy Hardy 21:10 Thu
In reply to Dave the Rave:

A spot of Google-fu unearthed this https://www.farfield.co.uk/product/men/jackets-men/fibrepile-jacket/

I might have a look next time I'm in sedbergh!

Andy Hardy 21:27 Thu
In reply to Name Changed 34:

Do they have a separate website to helly hanson? Can't find a product called "261 field jacket" there...

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Sorry it may be this,,

Helly Hansen Lausanne Jacket 72261

Not field  and  a 72 before the 261 

https://northseaworkwear.com/a070h08007-m-helly-hansen-elastic-cuffs-72261-lausanne-jacket-navy.html

Have them on sale  Product Ref: A070H08007-M  But out of stock 

its also available with hood but only in bright Orange  I have one but if hoods up it lifts if weight from shoulder to head and neck so no good worst if helmeted. However the hood makes a good neck warmer and it’s not a issue when sitting 

look in HH workwear for both 

You will find them 

I use string vest , double pile and P 1 p

pretext   You can keep flash fashionable crap for poseing 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

They still do pile clothing though not exactly like the original 1970s "Polar" jackets of which I still have two, bought for £4/19/6d each fifty years ago. Relegated to caving 25 years ago and I still can't wear 'em out, though one of the zips has gone -  do you think I should complain?

They sell it to military and workwear outlets I think. Just a thought from your post - if you've been searching for Helly HansOn this might have limited your opportunities for they are Helly HansEn. 

Pbob 22:09 Thu
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Brenig.co.uk

Well recommended for quality, price and service

m dunn 23:02 Thu
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Lidl - every so often. 

nathan79 23:05 Thu
In reply to Andy Hardy:

There are a few as has been mentioned.

I've got a ME Moreno (lovely, fluffy and warm), a Rab Original Pile Fleece (less old-school than the previous Double Pile model as it has a windproof lining) and an EDZ yeti fleece (not quite Pile fleece but a halfway house between like and microfleece).

spenser 10:34 Fri
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Montane, Buffalo and Snugpak all make what you seem to be after for varying levels of cost:

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/clothing-c25/insulation-c6/montane-extreme-smock-p81

Forester3 11:04 Fri
In reply to spenser: I’ve owned a Buffalo belay jacket for the past 15 years or so. Still going strong after lots of use - particularly during winter when it’s worn most days - tough as old boots!

nikkormat 13:26 Fri
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Patagonia also do the Retro Pile Fleece, which goes nicely under a Buffalo Windshirt, and a version with a windproof liner.

In reply to m dunn:

A pal bought one of these and it was almost identical to the rab one I’ve got. But 2.5x cheaper. 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

It’s fascinating how this technology is returning - kind of - with the new generation polartec alpha etc. Look like particularly threadbare pile jackets when the filling is visible. 

I see OMM have started using it as a sleeping bag liner, to make mitts, and various pile-type thin fleeces. Will be interesting to see how well they work. 

b

Darron 01:14 Sat
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I still use a Helly Double Pile Jacket in bottle green from 1988. It’s long list it’s smooth surface but is still warm. Think I paid £35 from Joe Royle, Hanley. A lovely shop that was.

Jo Royle! Brian Royle as Maitre d’

As you say, before climbing shops became Aladdin’s caves, a great climbers shop.

Darron 01:15 Sat
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Point North?

North Cape surely?

Post edited at 01:17
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Can't believe it's nearly 10 years since this thread...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/fleece_vs_pile-439189

Andy Hardy 09:05 Sat
In reply to AndyC:

A lot of similar ground covered on that thread!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.