UKC

Focusing headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 07 Dec 2017

I need a new headtorch. It will be used for routefinding on rock/winter/alpine climbs. I used to have the Petzl Myo XP with the focusing lens that flips down. Looking back, it was the best feature on a headtorch I've ever come across and I used it all the time.

Can anyone recommend a new headtorch (not Petzl) that has a similar focusing thing? So far I've found the Coast HL7 (and others in their range) that meet that need, but don't have the best battery life. I don't mind if the battery pack is at the front or back of the harness. Does anyone know of anything else that would be worth a look?

I've tried the BD Storm/Spot and found them over complicated. I literally want on/off and a couple of brightness options, no touch sensitive panels etc. Am I too picky in this modern age!? The Coast HL27 is top of my list, followed by the HL8. I would like a longer list...

Requirements:
Ability to focus the light
Waterproof/showerproof
250/300+ lumens
Not have anything fancy like an app for your phone
No 'reactive lighting'
Similar weight to the Myo XP, not silly heavy
Ideally runs on AA batteries. AAA would be ok but not ideal
Ability to take rechargeable or alkaline batteries

Thanks in advance.
Post edited at 20:12
 Ridge 07 Dec 2017
In reply to markk:

I have one of those and very pleased with it. I thought the lack of a top strap might be an issue, but not experienced any problems.

I got it to replace a Myo XP, and find it a much better option for running with, and much prefer the USB rechargeable battery than constantly replacing AAs.

Battery pack is a bit heavier than the XP, and no flip up diffuser, but it does focus and spread, and you can dial the power right down for map reading. Red light on the back also gives a bit of comfort when road running at night.
 markk 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Yes - good point about lack of top strap. I have an older model and that's the one thing I wasn't so keen on. However it was easy enough to sew a top strap onto it and it's now my preferred head torch for most stuff.
 Toerag 08 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

+1 for Ledlenser, their focussing beam is excellent.
 nufkin 08 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

> I used to have the Petzl Myo XP with the focusing lens that flips down. Looking back, it was the best feature on a headtorch I've ever come across and I used it all the time.

As a slight aside, is it true that LED light can't be focussed in the same way as, for example, the old Zooms could be? Someone told me a while ago that something to do with the wavelength means that variable adjustability doesn't work, which presumably is why headtorches these days come with the flippable diffusers
 Marek 08 Dec 2017
In reply to nufkin:

> As a slight aside, is it true that LED light can't be focussed in the same way as, for example, the old Zooms could be? Someone told me a while ago that something to do with the wavelength means that variable adjustability doesn't work, which presumably is why headtorches these days come with the flippable diffusers

Just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

Yes, you have to focus LEDs with different mirror/lens design, but that's to do with their dispersion pattern rather than anything to do with wavelengths. Diffusers are used because they are cheap, simple and work well.
 nufkin 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Marek:

> Just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

In fairness to the person who told me, it may be me that decided in my memory that they were talking about wavelength because I didn't understand what they were really explaining
In reply to NottsRich:
+1 for Ledlenser, I have collected several head torches over the years but this is my goto one for any “serious” nocturnal activities including trail running or climbing in the dark. It runs on AAs or larger rechargeables and has a good burn time. Only criticism is that the on /off button is prone to being bumped while in my pack, switching it on and wasting batteries so I have resorted to removing one of the 4 batteries to stop this happening.
Post edited at 18:33
 Ridge 08 Dec 2017
In reply to taddersandbadger:

> Only criticism is that the on /off button is prone to being bumped while in my pack, switching it on and wasting batteries so I have resorted to removing one of the 4 batteries to stop this happening.

Which model of Led lenser?

If it's the H7 in the link up the thread, press the on/off button to switch it on, but keep holding the button down. After about 3 seconds the light will go off. The button is now locked, and the light won't turn on if knocked or pressed.

To turn it back on you have to hold the button down for a further 3 seconds until the light comes on again. Might also be the same on other models.
OP NottsRich 11 Dec 2017
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. It seem the LedLenser is coming out on top! I think I'll need to have a play with them in person, but the H7 looks good, even if the battery pack looks a little excessive. Good idea about adding a top strap - easy to do. Had a quick look on the internet for common problems, and there don't seem to be many reports around which is always a good sign!

In reply to Ridge:
Hi, am at work so cannot check which model, but will give that a go when I get home.
Hopefully it will be across the range and if so thanks for the top tip !
Positive power of Ukc

Paul

PS I did read the manual before putting it somewhere safe and forgetting 95% of the content!
Post edited at 12:50
 mbh 11 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

I've had an LED Lenser H7 for three years now. Very pleased with it. However I think mine is less bright than the current version's 300 lumens. In darkness, while running among dunes and open moorland last week, I would not have been able to find my way using the torch alone.
 deepsoup 11 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
> It seem the LedLenser is coming out on top!

I'll add another recommendation there - I have an seo7r that I bought second hand from someone here.

Coming home cold and wet, I accidentally chucked it in the washing machine with my running kit a while back. It isn't marketed as waterproof, but I noticed when I came to empty the machine and it was shining out through the window. Got switched on as it was going round & round with my shorts & wotnot presumably.

Still works perfectly. I won't be pushing my luck by trying it again, obviously, but I was very impressed.

I also have a Petzl Myo XP that still looks new and shiny but doesn't work - known design fault apparently. It was out of warranty when it failed & Petzl/Lyon weren't remotely interested in repairing it. Still have it because I'm a ridiculous hoarder holding on to the fantasy that I'll get around to fixing it myself. (Ha!)
OP NottsRich 11 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> I also have a Petzl Myo XP that still looks new and shiny but doesn't work - known design fault apparently.

I had my first Myo XP fail while I was in a situation where I would really like it to not have failed... I got a replacement from Lyon whilst in South America (top top service from them). However, since then I've just not trusted it and find myself doubting it when I'm relying on it.

If yours has failed due to the wires, then a few hours of your time could get it running again:
http://brightbit.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/petzl-myo-xp-repair.html

Or even upgrade the LED while you've got it in bits.
http://www.light-test.info/en/headlamps/24-myo-rxp-cree-xp-g-xpg-big-nono

But I still wouldn't trust it!
 deepsoup 11 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
I read a few stories of top service from them (yours was probably one), that was what prompted me to get in touch about my dodgy MYO I think, and why I was a tad disappointed when the (eventually) replied to tell me they're just not interested.

Ta for the links. It will be the wires, but I think I need to just acknowledge that I'm never going to get around to it and bin the thing. Excellent info for someone a bit more motivated than me though.
 Garbhanach 11 Dec 2017
In reply to markk:

Cheers already have an H5 then saw the 20% off the H 7.2 on your LED Lenser site link so bought one
 Toerag 11 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

> H7 looks good, even if the battery pack looks a little excessive. Good idea about adding a top strap - easy to do. Had a quick look on the internet for common problems, and there don't seem to be many reports around which is always a good sign!

You may find you get away without a top strap if you don't run with it on. My father sold them in his shop and faulty ones were always replaced with no quibble. They were quite quick to implement design changes to eliminate common problems such as a floppy tilt and breaking wires. I think you can be confident with buying a new one.
 Fozzy 11 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

I emailed Petzl to source a new cable for my MYO RXP after the puppy chewed through it. They refused to supply me with one as it requires soldering & apparently that’s something so risky they can’t possibly condone it. Pointing out that I teach electronics up to GCSE level still didn’t manage to persuade them otherwise....
 Ridge 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Fozzy:

> I emailed Petzl to source a new cable for my MYO RXP after the puppy chewed through it. They refused to supply me with one as it requires soldering & apparently that’s something so risky they can’t possibly condone it. Pointing out that I teach electronics up to GCSE level still didn’t manage to persuade them otherwise....

I just shortened the cable a bit, as it tends to break near the end.
 Fozzy 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> I just shortened the cable a bit, as it tends to break near the end.

That’s my intention (it’s on the never-ending to-do pile)
OP NottsRich 12 Dec 2017
Thanks all, I took the gamble last night and bought an H7.2 for a bargain price of £38.

Maybe I'll fix the Myo at some point. I won't be shortening the wire though, I think I'd rather replace it entirely with a new flex of known quality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...