UKC

Footwear Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JAT557 27 Aug 2020

Hi,

I have very awkward feet- Haglund's on heels, a very high arch and all sorts of other odd lumps (that I reckon have formed from years of wearing poor fitting boots) and am really struggling to find any boots/ climbing/ trail shoes that fit/ arent sore/painful- front pointing in B3 boots is becoming prohibitively painful for example.

I get that all these shoes will never be comfortable but was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to reduce the level of pain (particularly while front pointing).

I have tried on quite a lot of pairs and not really found anything close to fitting. The best solution here is probably to see an expert/good fitter- does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks very much

shuffle 27 Aug 2020
In reply to JAT557:

Si at Mountain Feet in Marsden is brilliant for advice and boot fitting. Well worth a visit if you’re not too far away. 

Tigger 27 Aug 2020
In reply to JAT557:

I have quite pronounced haglunds, La Sportiva Boulder X don't give me any problems, I've also just got some TX4's and they seem fine. Walking boots i ise Meindl Vakums, B2 Sportiva Trango Alps (with a high arch support insole)

As for climbing shoes i wear

Sportiva Miura VS

Scarpa Boostic

Scarpa Chimera

Also worn:

Tenaya Iati - ok but not the best for my heels

Ocun Ozone plus - oknonce modified but a bit of dead space meant they didn't edge too well.

Sportiva teatorosa - fit well one modified but repaced by Chimeras.

Really bad:

Scarpa Vapour

Scarpa instinct

Basically anything scarpa that isn't on the FZ last.

5.10 - anything from them is painful.

Sportiva solutions

Sportiva skwama

I have to modify the heels on all shoes though, I can send pictures if you like?

Leather shoes will form to your feet better than synthetics, I soak my Miura's then go climb in them.

Post edited at 18:54
OP JAT557 27 Aug 2020
In reply to JAT557:

Hi- Thanks v much This is all excellent advice! I'm looking forward to (hopefully) some pain free walking and climbing!

OP JAT557 27 Aug 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Hi- I'd really appreciate seeing how you modify the heels on your shoes! Thanks very much!

Tigger 27 Aug 2020
In reply to JAT557:

No problem, I'll post some pictures to you next week when I've got 5 mins.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...