UKC

Garmin Fenix3 widgets revert to home screen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 13 Oct 2016
Hi

If I am using (for example) the altimeter (or any widget) on my Fenix 3 and have this screen displayed on the watch, after a short while the screen switches back to the main 'home' screen (i.e. the time/clock-face). To then use the altimeter again I have to scroll through the screens to get back to it.

Can I set the watch to not revert automatically back to the home screen?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
In reply to Si Withington:
I've not found a way to stop this auto reverting when using a widget when otherwise the watch is inactive, even when the lock screen is activated. I'm not tech savvy so there maybe a way.

However, a work around I discovered is have it on an activity and either set up the data screens to show the info you want to have "permanently" visible, or if your need is for more proactive use of specific widget capabilities (say the ABC widget to monitor direction and attitude etc together) to have it on an activity, leave it recording, revert back to watch, change to the screen you want and it will then hold that screen "indefinitely". You can then lock the screen if you want or change to other "home" screens and it will hold any of them as last viewed.

Of course not going to do the battery life any good, and particularly if it's a widget that you need the gps running to use. Also, you have to remember to stop the activity and discard recording (unless you really want to keep a record!). The number of times I've forgotten to stop it - oops.

Does that make sense and any use to you?

Would have thought it would be simple for Garmin to program in an option in settings to allow holding a widget screen , but I suppose the logic maybe that any serious use of a widget will be when using an activity, otherwise it's casual use so auto revert is reasonable.

OP Si Withington 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Hi and thanks

Yep, just got advised elsewhere to do the same thing. Seems that if you start then immediately stop and activity and select Resume Later, then this has the same affect, presumably without hammering the battery or continuing to run the GPS too.

I guess you could configure an activity to not use the GPS too and then just use this activity when you want to 'hold' the widgets.

Annoying
 steveriley 13 Oct 2016

Dumb question - but do you know how you do the opposite?
If I'm out for a ride or run or something, how do I go and check the time or altitude or something else?

Not had the watch long and it's easily cleverer than me, so don't be afraid to patronise.
In reply to steveriley:
Just press and hold the down button assuming screen is not locked.

To get back to activity again you need to press once briefly the start/stop button.
Post edited at 16:59
Thanks for extra info. Never expected resume later to do same!

steveriley 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks. Too easy! I keep thinking I should read the flipping manual but there always seems to be something more interesting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...