UKC

Garmin 'Topo'active Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 04 Jan 2021

Yesterday I became the proud owner of a shiny new Garmin GPSMAP 66i... at least for a couple of hours.  Then I discovered what exactly Garmin had in mind for 'topo'active maps... (comes with Europe maps)

Turns out that topoactive is about as untopographical as humanly possible.  No contours, aspect indications, gradient shading or anything else that might diffentiate between the flat swap by my house and the North Face of the Eiger.  Thanks Garmin!  Money well wasted.  Just to rub salt into the wound, they provide contours on the US maps.  That makes me feel better...

Luckily I discovered that there are a plethora of individuals/companies making genuinely topographical maps for a very reasonable cost.  Thank god!  Otherwise this unit would be a very expensive InReach (not so) Mini.

Anyone have any recommendations for maps for Europe?  I've seen 'TalkyToaster' (lol) which looks very professional at first glance, and only a few quid per country.  Though looks like some countries won't work with Basecamp/Explore.  Any others worth investigating?

In reply to crayefish:

Am I the only one that finds OSM more than adequate?

(Happy for the answer to be "yes")

Post edited at 13:10
 tonyg9241 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/en/index.html can be used both in basecamp and put on to your gps 66i 

I found that the uk 1:50 OS maps that came with mine are not the best when zooming in because they are a raster scan 

the Garmin gps are good there is a whole load of crap I would love to get rid of on it hunt and fish etc 

Post edited at 12:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...