UKC

Gas Cartridges not working

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wat O' Harden 09 May 2022

I have a lightweight Vango Compact gas stove. 

It works well with gas from most brands like Summit, MSR and Jetboil. but won't work on Coleman gas tins. Has anyone else had any issues?

I thought they were compatible but they are a different shape.

Thanks

bouldery bits 09 May 2022
In reply to Wat O' Harden:

Yes!

I once found this to my horror on an OMM.

The Coleman cartridge did not work with my stove. My partner for that year's event (a very good road runner doing his first OMM) almost had a little cry. Luckily, a very kind lady took pity on us and we managed to borrow a working stove. 

(I had thought, for a long time, that the stove (Jetboil) was at fault and actually retired it until my house mate borrowed it without asking recently and found it worked fine!)

Avoid Coleman tins at all costs!

BB

duchessofmalfi 09 May 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

Had this problem myself - then you've got the problem WTF do you do with the broken but full Coleman gas canister? because you can't put it in the bin.

Let me tell you that Coleman were exactly 100% the direct opposite of helpful.

OP Wat O' Harden 09 May 2022
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Thanks folks. I found an archived forum thread from last year talking about Coleman compatibility.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/coleman_gas_cartridge_wont_work_o...?

I followed the link in the thread and it looks like this is not a new problem:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/03/coleman-canister-gas-cauti...

I was looking at the cartridges I have and the Coleman is a different shape from the rest. The valve looks the same but is maybe deeper in the can so the brass rod on the stove is too short to open the valve? It's definitely the gas and not the stove because it works on the other two (nearly empty) cans I have from Summit and Highlander.

duchessofmalfi 09 May 2022

It's a manufacturing problem for Coleman, 4/5 Coleman cannisters work just fine for my stoves, 1/10 only works if your screw it on <very> tight and 1/10 is just f****d.  Never had this problem with other brands.  Not isolated to one stove or brand of stoves - problem cannisters are a problem for the four different stoves I have tried.

toad 09 May 2022

I have a think called a crunchit.  It's for empty cylinders but would work on full ones, so long as you don't smoke (!) It screws on, lets out any remaining gas and then you  pop the can and you stick the can in the recycling  

youtube.com/watch?v=zpJK3PWXyuA&

Edited for helpful video

Post edited at 16:23
 pec 09 May 2022

> then you've got the problem WTF do you do with the broken but full Coleman gas canister?

Leave it at a campsite for someone who's stove will fit it perhaps?

VictorM 10 May 2022

I've also had a not-so-great experience with Coleman canisters. It would fit my Primus Eta Solo and also feed gas but then it would slowly leak gas when not in use. As others have stated, their valve design is slightly off. Not buying if I can avoid it. 

Siward 10 May 2022

I would suggest sawing off the very top of the screw thread with a hacksaw, shortening the distance to the seal beneath.

Can't see any problem with that!

(kids don't try this at home...)

olddirtydoggy 10 May 2022

I have an old Coleman burner and find their cannisters work better for me. Please form an orderly queue for my postage details, I am ready to recieve all of your bad gas.

OP Wat O' Harden 10 May 2022

Interesting replies, thanks.

Good (I think!)not to be the only one with this issue. It's a pity that Coleman are one of the most easily bought brands. A buddy told me last night that he had problems with Go Gas occasionally too. 

PS - I have seen a Crunchit from Jet Boil used and it worked really well. Gas bled out and cartridge could then be pierced and stamped flat. You can then chuck it in any metal recycling bin.

OP Wat O' Harden 24 May 2022

I have been asking round since I initially posted this thread. Quite a few people I know have had this experience with Coleman gas so I will be avoiding it from now on.

I did treat myself to a shiny new Soto Windmaster which is probably the best stove I have ever used. It works on the Coleman cartridge but doesn't seem to be as powerful as when its put on the MSR gas cartridge I have. 

Neil Williams 24 May 2022

I have had an issue with my Trangia gas converter and very recent Coleman Performance Gas canisters.  They do work but you have to screw them on very hard.  As the fitting is a standard, I suspect they have a bad batch of valves which aren't quite in the correct tolerances.  I've used regular Coleman butane-propane before without issues.

Post edited at 15:40
 Neil Williams 24 May 2022
In reply to toad:

> I have a think called a crunchit.  It's for empty cylinders but would work on full ones, so long as you don't smoke (!) It screws on, lets out any remaining gas and then you  pop the can and you stick the can in the recycling  

I usually just stick a knife through them and then fill with water to ensure no gas is left.  Then tip out and as you say in the recycling.

Post edited at 15:38
 oldie 24 May 2022

Had same problem years ago. I'd asked at an outdoor shop if the Coleman cylinder was compatible with my stove and they said yes. Discovered error while camping by Loch Coruisk and cooked using a tiny spare cylinder......water from pasta used for tea etc. Returning via Elgol the kind lady in the community store shop was sure she could sell it to someone with a Coleman stove, even though they didn't normally stock gas. and offered me cost price! I thought that was unfair as I'd happily had left it for nothing, so she gave me a free coffee instead.

> Quite a few people I know have had this experience with Coleman gas 

It's a problem that has been around for a while; I remember it being discussed on Outdoors Magic.

Jenny C 24 May 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes Hitch n Hike had a sign years ago basically saying that stove compatibility between different individual canisters wasn't guaranteed. (Don't think it was specific to Coleman)

Shoddy really, especially as camping stoves are sometimes used in situations/locations where being unable to use them could have pretty serious consequences.

VictorM 25 May 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> Yes Hitch n Hike had a sign years ago basically saying that stove compatibility between different individual canisters wasn't guaranteed. (Don't think it was specific to Coleman)

> Shoddy really, especially as camping stoves are sometimes used in situations/locations where being unable to use them could have pretty serious consequences.

For what it's worth I've used a lot of different brands with my multiple Primus stoves and the only ones I've had issues with is the Coleman ones (and obviously Campingaz has a completely different valve screw). 

I know brands don't guarantee compatibility and Gods forbid they find out you used another brand when running into trouble but they are pretty much interchangeable save for the odd off tolerances ones. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...