UKC

Getting pine resin out of ropes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 06 Aug 2018

I was out climbing earlier and somehow got pine resin all over my half ropes.  Bits of them that came in contact with the offending tree are actually shiny!

Is there any way to get this out without knackering the ropes?  Google searches suggest meths which I am reluctant to resort to.  I have to do something though as at the moment they are just sticky dirt magnets.

trouserburp 06 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Put them in the freezer

Post edited at 22:09
OP d_b 06 Aug 2018
In reply to trouserburp:

Unfortunately I only have a very small freezer and I would have to take all the food out of it to fit the ropes in.  Might get me murdered.

CarbonCopy 06 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

tiny bit of powder, cold cycle in machine 

Mr. Lee 07 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

I've used alcohol gel hand gel with clothes, which totally shifts it, after regular clothes detergent has failed to. Rub a bit in to the affected area then put it in the wash. Can't see why it wouldn't work with a rope. I wouldn't be worried about any detrimental effects to the rope from such a mild substance. 

beardy mike 07 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Have found a bit of battery acid does the trick.

OP d_b 07 Aug 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

I was thinking of mixing it with nail varnish remover and petrol, then burning the stuff off.

beardy mike 07 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Classic UKDating. You take the piss out of your mate and you get a dislike...

OP d_b 07 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Thanks for all sensible answers btw.  I'm currently trying the cold cycle in the machine.  If this fails I will attempt alcohol gel.

As for the other answer: Here's the rope.  Your lead mike.

wivanov 07 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

I'd check a nylon compatibility chart first.  While Ethyl alcohol seems OK, I believe Isopropyl alcohol has a "severe" effect on nylon 6 and 6,6

https://www.calpaclab.com/nylon-chemical-compatibility-chart/

brianjcooper 08 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Have you tried Beal's liquid rope cleaning soap?

Post edited at 13:50
OP d_b 08 Aug 2018
In reply to brianjcooper:

I had no idea that it existed.  I will take a look in my local gear shop.

Post wash (using techwash) they are much better than they were but not perfect.  I plan to put them through again this evening.

Post edited at 14:07
 brianjcooper 08 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

I've used Nikwax techwash before on a rope and it was OK. Also have a Beal rope brush which helps. It looks a bit like a corkscrew with bristles.

Hope some of this helps.

OP d_b 08 Aug 2018
In reply to brianjcooper:

It does.  Thanks!

I do like the look of those brushes.

youngtom 10 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

I've used olive oil to remove pine sap from clothing before 

OP d_b 16 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Update:  2 runs through the washing machine with nikwax techwash seem to have done the trick.  One on cold, the second on a 30 degree delicates setting.  As far as I can tell the ropes are fine although they do seem more brightly coloured than I remember them.

Toerag 16 Aug 2018
In reply to youngtom:

A friend used sunflower oil to remove the gloss paint their spaniel had spent five minutes rolling in.

Otis 17 Aug 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Sounds like a very healthy dog...... oh wait, it's a wet and shiny nose that means that, isn't it  

> A friend used sunflower oil to remove the gloss paint their spaniel had spent five minutes rolling in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...