UKC

Glue on goretex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 17 Sep 2013
On of the elastic draw cord that tightens the top of my hood up has detached itself from the goretex.

I can see the tube it runs down and is easy to cut a little hole in to re-attach it but am unsure of the effects of the glue. Was thinking of using something like a two part epoxy glue and then a strip of tenacious tape.

Is this glue likely to have an adverse effect on the material?
 CurlyStevo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to fire_munki:
have you considered McNett seam seal, I use this to patch holes in goretex (it will form a thin flexible layer without the need for a patch!)
 jkarran 17 Sep 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

> Is this glue likely to have an adverse effect on the material?

Not if you're just sticking a cord back on with it. It won't last though, it'll get brittle and break up.

I'd emulate the original attachment, presumably it was tied, stitched or crimped?

Assuming you're dead set on glue go for something like 'Goop' that is seriously sticky and stays rubbery. Check material compatibility on an inconspicuous area, the solvent is I think xylene which may well attack your coat.

jk
OP fire_munki 17 Sep 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

Will have a look and see how it was originally done. The attachemnt point is right at the fronts so has very little movement so cracking shouldn't be too much of an issue.
 EddInaBox 17 Sep 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

How long is the tube you can see, does it run right round to the other side?
 EddInaBox 17 Sep 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

Too slow with my post. Why not fill the tube with seam sealer, shove in the cord and sew through the lot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...