UKC

Good boot fitters Leeds/York area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RoK 17 Mar 2013
Hi all,

Heading over to a wedding in early May and am looking to replace my phantom guides. If I'm honest with myself they were never the best fit which is why I'm looking at other options and not just replacing from an online retailer.
Anyway they've gone into the great unknown so I'm looking for a shop in either of the above areas with a good boot fitter.
I've checked the net and have a list of the usual high street chains in these regions, but are there any places that people could personally recommend. Local knowledge is best after all.

Cheers,
R.
 muppetfilter 17 Mar 2013
In reply to RoK: I find the staff in Go-outdoors to be utterly clueless and more interested in arseing about on their phones. They do however have a big selection of boots and if you hunt online first they price match and discount by 10%.
OP RoK 18 Mar 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:
Cheers, for that. Another for the list.
Much obliged!
R.
 Sam_in_Leeds 18 Mar 2013
In reply to RoK:

ChevinTrek used to be quite good in Otley?

It's on Gay Lane I think as you come down from Caley.

Always makes me chuckle.
OP RoK 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:
Sounds right up my alley.
Thanks!
 blurty 18 Mar 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:

Another vote for Backcountry in Ilkley
OP RoK 18 Mar 2013
In reply to RoK:
Just looking at backcountry and it looks like the only suitable boot they have is the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX.

Do they have more stock in the shop than online?
Probably should have been a bit clearer in the initial post that I'm looking to try as many as possible.
R.
 GPN 18 Mar 2013
In reply to RoK:
I know it's not quite in your spec, but if you just want to try on as many boots as possible then your best option (by far!) is to head up to the Lakes and trawl around the shops in Ambleside and Keswick one day. Mid-week is always best! Cheers, George.
 hokkyokusei 18 Mar 2013
In reply to RoK:
> (In reply to RoK)
> Just looking at backcountry and it looks like the only suitable boot they have is the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX.
>
> Do they have more stock in the shop than online?

Doubt it, it's a very small shop. They will fit boots you buy elsewhere though (for a fee). If it's a big choice you want, head over to Outside in Hathersage (not Leeds/York I admit), but a big selection and also have good fitters.
 blurty 19 Mar 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to Ronan O Keeffe)
> [...]
>
> Doubt it, it's a very small shop. They will fit boots you buy elsewhere though (for a fee). If it's a big choice you want, head over to Outside in Hathersage (not Leeds/York I admit), but a big selection and also have good fitters.

And Hitch 'n Hike, 5 miles down the road from Outside
 Ross McGibbon 19 Mar 2013
In reply to blurty:

> Another vote for Backcountry in Ilkley

Ditto. They heated up and stretched a boot on a rubbing for me to make it fit better for me. When it still never did fit right, they offered to sell it for me.

Nice people.

Ander 19 Mar 2013
In reply to RoK:

IMHO I think you're looking at trip to Ambleside.
OP RoK 19 Mar 2013
In reply to All:

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I am going to hire a car and scoot about the area. Have all day Fri to play with before heading to York for the wedding on Sat and I always wanted to see the lake district.
Looks like it'll be an expensive weekeend!

Thanks once more.
Ronan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...