UKC

Gore-tex Active Shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam_craddock 08 Dec 2011
How good is Gore-tex Active Shell fabric in jackets?
 James Oswald 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Craddock:
I haven't used mine in torrential rain yet.
I have used it:

Cycling - with few other layers up Sheffield's hills. I stayed a lovely temperature and dry.
In a downpour - I stayed dry.

It seems very windproof, mine (a prototype) is super light and packs down tiny.
I rate mine.
novik 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Craddock: what Ive read so far is very good for active activities such as : trail running, mtb, adventure race, climbing, mountaineering etc. Im a person who is doing a bit of everything, and Im choosing now between Haglofs Endo and ME Firefox. Both have prons and cons, and its hard to decide which one to choose. Also those models will be gone very soon until autumn next year
 Radioactiveman 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Craddock:

Get yourself down to the ME sale tomorrow. I managed to pick up an immaculate firefox with tags for £60 last week. Depends how near to hyde you are.
OP sam_craddock 11 Dec 2011
In reply to novik: thanks for the advice, im still not 100% sure. I have a gore tex paclite jacket at the moment and it leaks like a bucket with a hole in it. So im looking into getting a new jacket but i cant decide between pro shell and active shell
novik 11 Dec 2011
In reply to sam_craddock: If I'm not wrong paclite is 2 layer goretex when active shell is still 3 layer same as pro shell. I had previously ME Ogre jacket and I was sweating a lot, not a best breathability for my activities. Week ago I done adventure race in Bacup you can read about conditions here

http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2011/12/09/haglofs-open-5/

and have a look how the Endo jacket is repealing the water

http://m.facebook.com/openadventure?v=photos&refid=0#!/photo.php?fbid=1...
 andy_gra 11 Dec 2011
In reply to novik: You're right Active shell is three-layer, whilst paclite is "two layer with a bit of coating" (so kinda 3 layer). But aye. I've had a go with the ME Firefox out running and it was cracking, still really breathable, noticeably more than Pro Shell. We've been passing a tester around amongst ourselves in the shop (Cotswold Belfast City) and it's been getting a good reception all around and is standing up to a fair bit of wear.
Berghaus Velum is a good candidate for harder activities because it has reinforced areas over the shoulders for your rucksack etc.
 GarethSL 11 Dec 2011
In reply to sam_craddock:

Guaranteed next years abomination of Gore-Tex will be Active Shell with a Proshell or paclite backer, remembering that Proshell was sold pretty much on the fact it has a fancy new backing fabric that ups the breathability, reduces lightness and friction between shell and mid-layer...

Yet the current Active Shell garments on the market uses the old silver scrim/net backer common to performance shell and XCR, which is surprisingly thick and heavy. I was impressed at the overall thickness of the Arc'teryx Active Shell jackets (so far the only ones available here), they are IMO far more durable than the Paclite jackets out there.

Wait a year and get the next generation of Active Proshell, Active Paclite, Neoshell or Event or something, you will never be able to keep up.
 GarethSL 11 Dec 2011
In reply to sam_craddock: ps. buy my beta ar
 Mike Nolan 11 Dec 2011
> Wait a year and get the next generation of Active Proshell, Active Paclite, Neoshell or Event or something, you will never be able to keep up.

Surely that's the same with everything?

I got myself a Marmot Zion Jacket a couple of weeks ago (Neoshell) and it's unbelievably good! I believe Active Shell is very similar and this type of clothing is definitely the way forward, once they've sorted out the initial problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...