UKC

Goretex Pro Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeyboy3000 06 Jan 2013
Been looking at getting a Goretex pro shell. Looking at the arctyrx beta / theta AR, the moUntain equipment Kongur and also a Marmot one I forget the name of ( it's running in third place at the moment )

I have read reviews on all, been to the shops and tried them all on read more reviews, I I just can't decide. The MOuntain Equipment is £100 cheaper and the only difference I see is the cut / label. The fabrics feel similar, they have a similar pockets. The arcteryx looks and feels a bit better but £120 better ??

Also I have read reviews of both jackets (admittedly only one or two for each out of a lot or reviews) that say the pockets gather water. Especially the kongur.

Looking for opinions / experiences of either jacket or any other suggestions or thoughts
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 06 Jan 2013
In reply to monkeyboy3000: Kongur'll last a good long time, either of the Arc'teryxes will last longer still.
OP monkeyboy3000 06 Jan 2013
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll: cheers. That's kinda what I thought. Any more from anyone ?
In reply to monkeyboy3000: Cant comment on the Arcs or the ME but I have had a Marmot Troll Wall for a few years and its still bahaves and looks like new. Nice little snow skirt too which is useful for skiing.
 Fishmate 06 Jan 2013
In reply to monkeyboy3000:

Have used the ME Changabang (the shorter climbing cut version of the Kongur, pretty much same quality) for 3 years and it doesn't leak anywhere and still looks like new in spite of my efforts to ruin it.

What are you mainly looking to use it for?
 BnB 06 Jan 2013

I have had a Marmot Goretex ProShell jacket for the last 4 years and it is nothing short of superb. It has shrugged off 125 mph winds at 3,000 metres in the Alps and withstood four Scottish winters (and summers). I've climbed, snowboarded and hiked all over Europe. Not only has it proved remarkably durable, comfortable and performed faultlessly every day of those four years, it is also cut to perfection for my needs with a high chin guard, capacious hood and locked down cuffs. I wish I could remember the product name... might well be a Troll Wall as mentioned above, it was about £300 list and I got it for £200 online. An utter bargain at twice that. Bloody great it is.
 neuromancer 06 Jan 2013

Anything by ME.

Everything else is just branding.
OP monkeyboy3000 07 Jan 2013
In reply to monkeyboy3000: So going to be using it for a range of outdoor activities climbing, scrambling, walking and the occasional trip to the snow but the real needs for it to be a pro shell are for work. I work in events and on occasion need to be outdoor and active what ever the weather for long (12 to 14) hour days for extended periods ( up to a couple of weeks)

I have never really had a shell that copes with this as I have always skirted around the expense with light weight jackets etc etc. But its time !
 Bobbsy 07 Jan 2013

marmot Alpinist are/were on sale in Cotswolds for £240
 Dan Lane 07 Jan 2013

Outside in Hathersage has some ME Kalanka jackets in for £270 the other day. That's £90 off the RRP. I've got one and must say that I think it's brilliant. Very soft and less 'rustly' than older goretex jackets. Almost feels like a softshell!
OP monkeyboy3000 08 Jan 2013
In reply to monkeyboy3000: In a massive U turn I bought the Marmot... Went back tried them all on the ME just didn't fit right and the Marmot was £100 cheaper and felt just as well made as the Arcteryx (as it was on offer 30% off....)
 TobyA 08 Jan 2013
In reply to monkeyboy3000: Virtually all the Marmot stuff I've got, I got for reviews via UKC, so was under no obligation to be nice about it. But I've been consistently impressed by their gear (with the exception of the too small hood on the neo-shell jacket). So if your jacket is anything like this one: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3282 I reckon you'll do fine. Mine is still going very strong.
 Denni 08 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I think the Zion would probably be one of the best jackets around but the hood is really atrocious. Shame, fit etc is spot on.
 thedatastream 08 Jan 2013
In reply to monkeyboy3000: I have had and roundly abused a ME Kongur for the last few winters and it has kept me dry and happy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...