UKC

GPS and digital maps on a smart watch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jlury 01 Nov 2019

Hi, I need to get a smartwatch and if I'm going to get one then it would make sense if I can get one that is also useful for hillwalking/mountaneering. Does anybody use a smartwatch for viewing GPS grid references and digital maps? (I dont know if is even possible to view a digital OS map on a smartwatch?). Does anybody have any advice on specific smartwatch models or their useability for navigation in scottish winter conditions? Thanks in advance!

Dark-Cloud 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jlury:

Garmin Fenix 5x, 5 plus or 6 get, your wallet out for the 6 !

Post edited at 18:14
 GarethSL 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jlury:

I use the 5X, really impressive watch though the map function has been largely redundant for me. Used a couple of times whilst out walking/ hiking where it has actually been quite useful. Biggest downside is that when under layers its a bugger to get at, so the phone or map is an easier option.

For coordinates or OS maps there is probably a widget/app or somesuch you can install that just punches out a utm grid ref. It seems (having just had a quick fiddle) that there is no immediately obvious option for this with the default map viewer. 

Dark-Cloud 01 Nov 2019
In reply to GarethSL:

Yep, there is an OS grid ref widget, it’s quite useful.

Andy DB 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jlury:

I have a cheap Huawei smart watch that runs Google wear version of Android. One of the more useful things it does is run Viewranger, which gives you OS mapping, grid reference and route tracking. The only downside is it is all on a tiny screen.

axor 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jlury:

I have the garmin 235 with the grid ref app on it. Works well if I cant work out where I am on the map. I also have a similar app installed on my phone as a backup.

mrphilipoldham 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jlury:

ViewRanger works on Apple Watch. Haven’t used it in anger as such yet, but it does work.

OP jlury 05 Nov 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Bump!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...