UKC

Grivel Tech Machines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.91 31 Dec 2017
Anybody using the new grivel tech machines and have comparable experience on the green fusions?

Not interested in doing much hard(er) mixed as I used too so looking for a more well rounded axe then compared to the green fusions. I find they are a bit too heavy and downturned for ice below V, smash more than climb!

Not interested in nomic's due to the amount of friends heads that have come loose!
 Gawyllie 31 Dec 2017
In reply to joe.91:

I have tech machines and really like them. Have used with Mixed picks on IV. mainly mixed and a little ice.

Not sure that they would be less aggressive than the fusions though, even with ice picks fitted.

You can pick up a carbon version that's lighter also if that's what your after.
 nniff 31 Dec 2017
In reply to joe.91:

BD Cobra perhaps, but not if you want a cranked handle. Not exactly cheap, mind.

That's a biased opinion, of course, but they are very pleasant to use. I've not yet tried mine properly on mixed yet, but people say good things about them as long as you're not out-and-out-upside-down dry tooling. They replaced a pair of BD Reactors, and no complaints so far for use as an all-rounder. Besides which, just look at them......
OP joe.91 01 Jan 2018
In reply to nniff:

I actually already have a pair of Cobra's for alpine and icefall which they are amazing but really don't fancy trashing them on mixed!
 TobyA 01 Jan 2018
In reply to nniff:

Don't you think they sound weird? So different from all the metal tools. Off putting first time I tried a pair, but actually great to use.
 lanky 01 Jan 2018
In reply to joe.91:

They look like a new axe, but hold one with a thickish glove to see if the grip is big enough. I'd off bought a pair as they look solid and swing nice but the grip is to small
 bouldery bits 01 Jan 2018
In reply to joe.91:

> Not interested in nomic's due to the amount of friends heads that have come loose!

That sounds serious.
 nniff 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

> Don't you think they sound weird? So different from all the metal tools. Off putting first time I tried a pair, but actually great to use.

It's certainly different. More than anything, I think that it's the lack of vibration that's most different, which is perhaps why it's just as easy to spot a shite placement. They don't ting and buzz in the same way as those cheap, tinny axes - they have a flat sound instead, with a rock solid, vibration-free feel.

Besides which, just look at them!
 nniff 01 Jan 2018
In reply to joe.91:

> I actually already have a pair of Cobra's for alpine and icefall which they are amazing but really don't fancy trashing them on mixed!

There you go then!

Mine have hardly seen a rock, but that will change soon. It might be a sad day when they get beaten up for the first time, but I'm sure I'll get over it. If I get too upset, www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk is just down the road and they'll put a new gel coat on for next to nothing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...