UKC

Half rope recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exile 07 Jun 2021

I'm in the market for a new 50m 8.5/9.0mm half rope. I'm looking to spend no more than £100. The rope will be for British trad climbing. I don't want it longer as I have 60m winter ropes, and I don't necessarily want it any thinner - I'd prefer to prioritise robustness over weight. It also doesn't need to be dry treated. 

What are your recommendations for ropes that are available at the moment? 

Thanks for your help. 

brianjcooper 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

You will receive many options and personal opinions. Here's mine.

I have two 60m 8.5mm Beal UNICORE Cobras (dry treated). I couldn't get Beal 50m (untreated) but the deal was so good I had them instead. Also bought a Beal 50m 9.8mm Karma budget workhorse. (untreated and not UNICORE). It is classed as a single but handles like a half.  

I guess I like Beal ropes.   They feel quite soft and handle really well. Whatever you buy I would make sure it has UNICORE construction. Watch the video. 

Hope this helps.

PaulJepson 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

You're going to get 50 people recommending Beal Cobras and a couple of people calling them shit. 

Jon Read 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

Beal Cobra fits your criteria perfectly  

galpinos 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

What do you mean by "robustness"? If you are after something with cut, sharp edge resistance, you can't really look past Edelrid's protect range. Personally I'd be looking at the starling but I guess you will be looking at the Swift Protect. Obviously out of budget (this is UKC).

Otherwise, you can't beat (IMHO) a Cobra. Lovely to handle, last wells, good value.

DaveHK 07 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> You're going to get 50 people recommending Beal Cobras and a couple of people calling them shit. 

And who's right? 

Kryank 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

Hi mate, we have been using 2 of these for the last year, quite skinny but we have taken a few falls on them with no issues.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/double-dry-climbing-and-mountaineering-rope-8....

For the price they are a great dry treated rope. A bit bright colour wise, but makes you easy to spot! 😂

hope this helps

Alpenglow 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

Beal Cobra

OP Exile 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

Thanks all. Has anybody seen 50m Cobras on sale though? I can only come up with 60m ropes from the usual suspects and don't really want to buy one just to cut 5m (to keep the half way market in the middle) off each end.

Has anybody much experience with Petzl ropes (made by Edelrid)?

Babika 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

I'm on my second Edelweiss Oxygene 50m bought a few weeks ago. It's Unicore. 

DaveHK 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

> Incidentally, has anyone used Rope-Master, their prices are good but I've never heard of them...

Looks like they're based in Poland so duty/vat/delivery to go on those prices?

galpinos 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

> ........ and don't really want to buy one just to cut 5m (to keep the half way market in the middle) off each end.

No middle mark on Cobras.

OP Exile 08 Jun 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Middle markers - thanks. 

Cobra_Head 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

> Beal Cobra fits your criteria perfectly  

They're shit

I couldn't resist.

Post edited at 14:32
 Iamgregp 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

Dunno what their half ropes are like, if any different, but I use a Petzl contact 9.8 mm for sport climbing and I absolutely love it.  It handles beautifully, however it's noticeably not as hard wearing as other types I've had previously (doesn't bother me as I get outside so rarely anyway) so might not be the option for you if you're looking for something more durable.

joe.91 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Exile:

Edelrid Starling Protect? The new ones have the kevlar weave in like the slings. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...