UKC

hammer/adze attachments for old nomics?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wobrotson 02 Dec 2021

I bought a pair of the old petzl nomics (pre-2017?) second hand in December last year for a trip to Canada ice climbing, where they served very well. Now back in the UK for winter I'm in need of some hammer/adze attachments for them to use in Scotland. Does anyone know if the newer hammer/adze attachments for the new model of nomics are compatible with the old model? Or if not where I can get some of the older ones?

Pina 02 Dec 2021
In reply to wobrotson:

Have they got an part orange handle and nobbly bit on the base instead of a spike?

OP wobrotson 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Pina:

No, handle is full black and they have a spike (with the hand rest attachment).

VictorM 02 Dec 2021
In reply to wobrotson:

Have a look at Kuznia, it's a polish company that does a very wide range of picks, hammers and adzes as well as crampon points for various brands across various generations of tools/crampons. 

In reply to wobrotson:

Needlesports are always good for this kind of thing

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing-Running/Winter-Alpine-Exped...

looks like thry've got the hammer there also.

OP wobrotson 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Colin Scotchford:

Thanks, I already looked on Needlesport but I clearly just didn't read well enough as they do say that it's compatible with the 2010 and 2018 models. Guess it should be reet then!

ross 02 Dec 2021
In reply to wobrotson:

Another vote for Kuznia Tatra picks. You need one with a 'notch' to fit a hammer

On the original Nomic I think you'll have to file the back of head slightly where the hammer goes to accommodate the hammer. It'll be pretty obvious what you need to do.

I wouldn't bother with an adze, I've never used one in Scotland or felt one would be anything other than I the way.

Cheers, Ross 

Pina 03 Dec 2021
In reply to ross:

As a counter viewpoint, I've resorted to using one increasingly in the last few years. Not so much as an adze in the traditional sense, but it can come in useful as an additional camming and wedging tool for awkward sized cracks...

subtle 03 Dec 2021
In reply to ross:

You use a hammer but not the adze in Scotland?

Adze more useful for clearing snow etc for placements, hammer for pegs - do people still use these?

Genuinely interested.

ross 03 Dec 2021
In reply to subtle:

Yes people do use pegs occasionally on rock types unsympathetic to other gear. Bulldogs/ Terriers/ Peckers are commonly used.  Warthogs occasionally. Plus hammer is useful for seating/ removing gear in icy cracks.

I'm sure an adze is just right for some cracks so maybe I should be more open minded! I recall bemoaning difficulty of second crux of Citadel to someone who told me his large BD adze had fitted perfectly!

Cheers, Ross 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...