UKC

Hand cream?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
monsoon 19 May 2018

Does anyone use hand cream? It’s not a very bloke thing to do but my Mrs keeps suggesting it’ll be good for me. In my mind I’m wanting my skin to be hard so it can handle more abuse from the rock. Surely handcream would soften it?

slab_happy 19 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

General advice seems to be to use some kind of hand balm after climbing/before bed because it'll help your skin recover faster, and prevent your skin from getting dried out and cracking from chalk use.

You want your skin to be tough but flexible, not sore or split-prone.

However, some people feel water-based lotions are too softening, which is why waxy balms (like Climb On) and greasy goops (like the time-honoured Elizabeth Arden Eight-Hour Cream, also used on sled dogs' paws on polar expeditions!) are popular.

Many hardcore bouldering blokes have braved the Elizabeth Arden counter in department stores to get their fix ...

Mal Grey 19 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

When on extended camping trips in the wilds, I use the Neutragena stuff with the Norwegian flag on. Had a few trips (canoeing and wild camping for a week in spring) where my hands were shot after a couple of days, cream really helps.

arch 19 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

I suffer badly with sore and dry hands. My fingers split near my nails as well. Very sore that is. I use O'keefes hand cream. It's very greasy (I only use it at night) But it sorts the splits and dryness out.

http://www.okeeffesco.com/

Big Steve 19 May 2018
In reply to arch:

I use O Keefes too, I buy it from Toolstation. I work as window cleaner, I use a barrier cream in the morning, then O Keefes moisturiser when I finish in the afternoon. It keeps my hands soft and delicate

Fiona Reid 20 May 2018
In reply to Big Steve:

Can also recommend O Keefes. Superdrug and some Asda stores stock it. Really good stuff. I apply it every night. I don't find it too greasy at all. A tub lasts ages, I bought one in December and there's probably still another month or two left. Climb On is also nice but a bit pricy for daily use - great if you're doing lots of climbing though. 

Post edited at 07:52
 richprideaux 20 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Hemp cream from The Body Shop is good too. A bit pricey but often discounted so I stock up when it's cheap.

krikoman 21 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

> Does anyone use hand cream? It’s not a very bloke thing to do but my Mrs keeps suggesting it’ll be good for me. In my mind I’m wanting my skin to be hard so it can handle more abuse from the rock. Surely handcream would soften it?

What's wrong with spit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...