UKC

Hanwag Sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pad01 21 Mar 2021

Can anybody offer any advice on the sizing of Hanwag boots, particularly the Makra Combi GTX. I’m in the market for a new pair of boots and these seem to tick all the boxes. 
I know I should try them on, but with lockdown that’s obviously not an option at the moment and prelockdown none of my local outdoor shops stocked them. The nearest outlets where at least an hour away. 
I’ve currently got a pair of Scarpa SL Activ size 11 so wanting to know if the fit of a size 11 hanwag would be more or less the same.

thanks  

OP pad01 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

Thanks  

I’ve looked at that previously and that says I’d need a 9.5 

my current boots are 11 and the rest of my day to day footwear are anything between 10/10.5/11

MischaHY 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

Hanwag are true to size in length but relatively wide. Assuming this describes you then take street size in regular width. 

1philjones1 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

Not sure if this will help but last year I ordered a pair of Hanwag Ferrata combi(? I think) wide fitting (B2)in a size 46. They were fine for length but not wide enough for me.

For comparison, I take a 46 in Scarpa/Salewa/ La Sportiva which are all fine for length but I have width issues with both Scarpa/ La Sportiva.

I’d therefore say if the Scarpa SL fit you, then the Hanwag should be fine for length in the same size, the width will obviously depend on your particular foot shape.

They did seem like great boots, very well made, and it was a shame to send them back. Unfortunately it was to Italy which cost a fortune!

veteye 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

I bought these boots from Nevisport for my son, and they seem fine for him. 

mary 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

That is a Weird size chart, recomends size 3 for me. I'm size 5 - 5.5. I got size 6 perfect. So comfortable.

M

OP pad01 21 Mar 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

What issue did you have with Scarpa width, too wide or too tight?

OP pad01 21 Mar 2021
In reply to veteye:

This is where I’m planning on getting mine from. 
what boots did he have previously and how did they compare fit wise?

olddirtydoggy 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

I own a pair of these and I wear size 9/43 in most footwear. I found them to be a perfect fit for my very average shape foot.

1philjones1 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

Too tight- Salewa fit me very well 

VictorM 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

Hanwag sizing in length is pretty much true to size, I have worn a lot of them (I work in a store where we stock pretty much exclusively Hanwag boots). I am a size UK 8,5/EU42,5 across the board. Be aware that they do a lot of different widths so sometimes it's comparing apples to oranges. 

For what it's worth, I use a Hanwag B2 boot called the Friction GTX, I am a size 8,5 in those and they comfortably fit with a wide range of sock thicknesses. I also own a pair of Scarpa B3 boots (I think they're called the Ortles GTX, discontinued a couple of years ago) and I also have these in 8,5. They are a tiny bit shorter than the Hanwag, and also a tiny bit narrower, but I can still wear them comfortably with normal hiking socks. If I would purchase Scarpa again I might go one half UK size up though. 

My feet are slightly above average width but not by that much that I would need a Wide Hanwag last. 

veteye 21 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

> what boots did he have previously and how did they compare fit wise?

He has really old boots otherwise, and has not been out in the hills for ages, but wants to get back into it. So the last lot are probably irrelevant.

Why don't you just order them, and try them on, carefully around the house: And then keep them when they fit wonderfully. Otherwise you can send them back....

RichardJKnight 23 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

Ive worn HanWags off and on for years and always found them to be true to size. I wear a size 45 in Scarpa’s and a 45 in HanWags. HanWags have been a little wide in the mid foot on me, but obviously foot shape is a highly personal thing! 

Welsh Kate 23 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

My experience is the same as others who say that Hanwag are true to size. I'd try the size of boot you normally take and see how you get on.

I've got the Ferrata Combi and they are SO comfy for my normally problematic feet

OP pad01 24 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

I took the plunge and ordered them yesterday so will find out in a few days. I phoned the customer service department of Nevis and one of their store staff called me back with a load of advice. Really good customer service from the store, very impressed. 

johncook 24 Mar 2021
In reply to pad01:

I have not seen it, but is it possible that the chart is based on American shoe sizes, which are very different to UK? I take a 42.5 eur, 8.5 UK and 9.5 US in my chilli rock boot. A US 10.5 would be a UK 9.5!

Good luck with your shoes.

P.s. Don't Hanwags have to be sized for a pair of really thick red socks, or was that just Ron Fawcetts personal choice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...