UKC

Harness for a small kid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AG1 19 Jul 2019

I am looking for a harness for my 4.5 yo. Given the age and the fact that she is petite, probably full body would be best. She only climbs occasionally and not very high but still, I would like the harness fit to be as bomb-proof as possible.

I saw a few people here recommending decathlon full body harness and we went into a store to try it on. It seemed quite loose at the back. I could fit the width of my palm quite easily between the harness and her back. Front looked nice and snug.

There is nothing else we can try on locally unfortunately. I would have to order online, then return if it does not fit and I would like to avoid too many returns (one of the stores told me that they have to destroy any climbing equipment returns and I feel bad about it from environmental point of view).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. TIA

Mark Eddy 19 Jul 2019
In reply to AG1:

I've used the DMM Tom Kitten kids harness for a few years now and has fitted well for most sizes / shapes of younger children. https://www.climbers-shop.com/10819590/products/dmm-tom-kitten-kids-harness...

PawelP 20 Jul 2019
In reply to AG1:

Re decathlon's harness - my 5.5 yo has been using it for quite a while but she's relatively tall. In our case the only downside is that the big metal buckles that fasten the tapes that go over the shoulders are very close to the face and may rub it when the rope is tensioned.

OP AG1 20 Jul 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thank you, it does look like it is very adjustable. Will try it out.

marsbar 20 Jul 2019
In reply to AG1:

I've used the Tom kitten with a number of small children, it adjusts and fits well.  

geordiepie 20 Jul 2019
In reply to AG1:

petzl ouistiti

Neil Williams 20 Jul 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

We use DMM Tom Kittens for smaller kids at our Scout wall and I'm yet to find one too small to fit it.

OP AG1 05 Aug 2019

Went for DMM Tomkitten in the end. Fits perfectly, packs small for travel, plenty of growing room. Thank you all for suggestions and recommendations!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...