UKC

Helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 29 May 2020

The Petzl Meteor III was rated for cycling and climbing but is no longer produced.

Any other dual use helmets out there?

My climbing helmet would be mainly used for single pitch sport so I'd hope that side and flat surface impact protection would feature at least as important, if not more, as top impact from rock. 

spenser 29 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

To the best of my knowledge the only company which tests side impact protection is Petzl and they do this against an internal standard.

If Petzl have decided not to recertificate the Meteor 4 against EN 1078 it would certainly suggest to me that they have made it none compliant (possibly by using the magnetic buckle?).

In all honesty though climbing helmets don't really make particularly good cycling helmets from a comfort standpoint, you can get something reasonable for road riding for £20-£30 which would be far better ventilated than a climbing helmet.

Post edited at 08:36
 GerM 29 May 2020
In reply to spenser:

A climbing helmet is best for climbing, a cylcling helmet is best for cycling, but it is kind of handy to take only one helmet if you are cycling somewhere to go climbing. I usually opt for a climbing helmet in this situation, ideally one that kind of works on a bike, on the basis I can't be bothered carrying another helmet as luggage, I wouldn't be too bothered about cycling without a helmet if I had to, and on my head is as handy a place as any to carry my climbing helmet. Although there is always the option not to take a helmet at all, people used to climb without helmets all the time, same for cycling.

spenser 29 May 2020
In reply to GerM:

I've certainly cycled to the crag wearing my Petzl Sirocco, if I was riding in on good estate tracks to climb something like Ardverikie Wall I wouldn't think twice about it unless it was a very warm day at which point I would probably plump for wearing a cycling helmet and carrying the climbing helmet to provide the additional ventilation.

OP Flinticus 29 May 2020
In reply to GerM:

> A climbing helmet is best for climbing, a cylcling helmet is best for cycling, but it is kind of handy to take only one helmet if you are cycling somewhere to go climbing. I usually opt for a climbing helmet in this situation, ideally one that kind of works on a bike, on the basis I can't be bothered carrying another helmet as luggage

My position too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...