UKC

Homemade Tyvek footprints

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Having some delivered with a view to making some tent footprints.

Sounds the biz ,  anyone use this and care to comment on its good /bad points.

TWS

Post edited at 11:46
 Dell 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I just made one from some of the tyvek roofing membrane, and was surprised to find it rather bulky when rolled up. 

I'm slightly confused now that there might be different types of tyvek and I'd used the wrong one. 

What sort did you order? 

In reply to Dell:

House wrap that's the stuff I've seen sold and used as footprint material

Post edited at 12:54
 Ridge 05 Jul 2018

I think there are multiple grades of Tyvek. There's a version for light chemical use that has a waterproof layer, as although the hdpe fibres in tyvek are waterproof, the various tyvek suits I've worn only seem to be showerproof at best.

Operating theatre drapes are tyvek, but again they have a waterproof (bloodproof?) side. They do make reasonable groundsheets (allegedly), but not sure about the longevity.

Let us know how the experiment goes!

TobyA 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Dell:

I've made a ground sheet for tarping etc. It's good, but I tend to fold it and wonder if it leaks on the fold lines. I think it was house wrap I bought. Some chap on eBay selling it for backpacking.

In reply to TobyA:

> I've made a ground sheet for tarping etc. It's good, but I tend to fold it and wonder if it leaks on the fold lines. I think it was house wrap I bought. Some chap on eBay selling it for backpacking.

Yeah that where I've got it from .  

Dell 05 Jul 2018

Item number or link (please?)

It does leak eventually, at least the roofing grade does. I used some as temporary shed roof (over boards) and it started to leak after a few weeks. Must be UV damage or thermal expansion/contraction making the 'holes' bigger. 

In reply to Dell:

Item number : 282511928071

I didn't think links to ebay worked here.

Siward 05 Jul 2018

I bought some bright yellow pvc from Pennine Outdoor years ago. OK its quite heavy, but it has proved indestructible over 20 odd years now!

freeheel47 06 Jul 2018

bought some off ebay- from some bloke who sells it for this purpose in smallish bits.

Have used it perhaps 20 times- excellent.

freeheel47 06 Jul 2018
just search ebay- tyvex tenttyvex grounsheet
 SenzuBean 07 Jul 2018

I've been using tyvek for yonks, with my tarptents (they come with tyvek footprints as standard). Excellent stuff, highly recommended. I've yet to replace one. They get a bit muddy, but then I never bother to clean them so what can I expect. Over time (and especially when packing away in inclement weather), the nice folds you make will become very rounded, which makes putting it away slightly harder.

Mal Grey 07 Jul 2018

I've used Polycro as a footprint, and a groundsheet on its own when bikepacking under a tarp. So far, its surviving remarkably well, no holes at all after half a dozen uses, and I'm not gentle with gear. Stuffs into a small pocket and weighs nothing.

Dell 07 Jul 2018

Not sure what polycro is? A bit of googling suggests it's the same as DIY secondary glazing film!? 

Dr.S at work 07 Jul 2018
In reply to Dell:

Yep, I made one for a recent trip - cheap, hard to puncture and very light. did tear a bit so be careful with the edges to avoid having obvious places a tear can start. 

GPN 07 Jul 2018
In reply to Dell:

Yes, polycro is secondary glazing film (made by 3M).

Ours has done about 60 nights on rocks, concrete, spiky grass etc. without tearing so far - it’s incredibly tough!

Tigger 10 Jul 2018

I wasn't aware of tyvek at the time but I made one for my Vango Helium a few years ago using a 'Military ipk kit' sheet. Its basically a kit issued to military personnel that allows them to dig a hole sheet it over and and then cover it in mud. Supposedly to protect them from radiation and they reckoned a tank could drive over the finished structure. It failed on both accounts but makes for a good light weight durable ground sheet.

Dark-Cloud 10 Jul 2018

I don't really understand the need for Tyvek but am willing to be educated, i just bought a large one of these and use it doubled for my footprints, works fine. i just fold it and slide it in the hydration sleeve of packs as its smaller than rolling.

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-tarpaulin-l-2-9m-w-1-9m/161640_BQ.prd

Post edited at 12:40
 TobyA 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Tyvek is much lighter than tarp! That all really.

Dark-Cloud 10 Jul 2018
In reply to TobyA:

That stuff i linked to is pretty light, i use it as a footprint for a TN Laser Comp on mountain marathons and light trips, also it's dirt cheap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...