UKC

How to tell if cam is safe to continue using?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wildabeast 12 Jun 2017

Took a short fall onto a 1 Dragon, was just above the placement and fell onto a short and quite tight rope. Inspected all the gear today and the main stem is bent. Re bent it back into place and was wondering if it should be retired. It has had about two years use and at the most 3 falls onto it, nothing big. The business end works find, smooth and snappy. Have fallen onto cams before but not seen one bend like this - thoughts please?
Post edited at 19:18
 john arran 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

They're designed to bend. If it still appears to work I'd keep using it - and trusting it.
 Timmd 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

What John Arran said,
 simon1985 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

I wouldn't worry, I'm fat and rubbish and have fallen on and bent mine loads! However, be careful to inspect the slings of your dragons as mine were getting pretty suspect in places at similar age to yours (mainly due to the grit).

I have just sent 7 well used and battered cams back to DMM for re-slinging, much cheaper than buying new cams! 7 re-slung for the price of one about one new cam! I think they pull test them and inspect them before return as well. I'd do this before I retire it if your really unsure.
 Alpenglow 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Definitely not safe to use. Post it to me for an... "inspection"...
In reply to Alpenglow:

Imposter!DON'T send it to him,send it to me and I will put it through a vigorous 5yr test programme. If it passes I will return it fully certificated(all postage to be paid by you as is only right)
 beardy mike 13 Jun 2017
In reply to freelunchprovider:
Sorry boys, but as the only person out of you two who's actually designed cams, I feel I am pretty much the only personon this thread, other than John qualified to fully ensure that it complies with the manufacturers strict safety standards. I know it may look like I'm pulling the cam card, and well, I am. OP, send it here and I will test it over the next 8-10 years to ensure it's fine. The moment it fails top comply, I'll let you know.
Post edited at 09:44
In reply to beardy mike:
Pah! I'll raise u,send it to me for the next 20yrs and if it passes the test I will pay the return postage. How d'ya like them apples beardy mike! I'm not taking the pip lets get to the core of this matter.
Post edited at 12:34
In reply to Wildabeast:

Not a clue what a 1 Dragon looks like but I stick my old school solid cams in vertical cracks and avoid the bent bar scenario by using the flexi jobbies in horizontal cracks. Bent the bar of a friend 1 about 25yrs ago and it's still going strong if that's any consolation to you.
 beardy mike 13 Jun 2017
In reply to freelunchprovider:

It will be well beyond manufacturers specified guidelines by then. 10 year lifespan and all. You'll die.
OP Wildabeast 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

hahah, can I send you my whole rack for inspection?
 Timmd 15 Jun 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

Isn't the guide line given as much because they're required to?

I'm not sure about a partially bent one, but if I had an old forged cam which was still in good shape I'd carry on using it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...