UKC

I have won 2 60m 8.1mm beal ice line golden dry ropes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shane jones 30 Dec 2017
Hi I have won 2 beal ice line 60m ropes. I wanted to know can these be used for trad, or are they specific ice climbing ropes.

Any help would be good.
Thanks
Shane
 kevin stephens 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

Congratulations. A lot of people do use them for trad, they do stretch a bit more and can be too slick in some standard belay plates, so you may have to buy a new one or two depending on what you already have
Deadeye 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

They will be very stretchy and a bit soft-wearing (being thin and stretchy) so better for ice. Fine for trad but not the hardest wearing.
OP Shane jones 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

Thanks for the replies.

If anyone wants these then I will happily sell them for cheaper than rrp. I'm just waiting for them to be delivered should be the 1st week in January.

tehmarks 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

It sounds like a fantastic excuse for you to take up ice climbing to me.

buffalo606 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

Hi

pm me when you have a price - I have been thinking about getting a pair so might be able to buy

cheers
 TobyA 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

My iceline was the best half rope I ever had. Used it for 10 years for lots of summer trad as well as ice climbing and it was always great. Handled great and didn't seem to wear at all.
 Mark Kemball 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

I climb trad using the 50m 8.1mm Beal Icelines. Lovely ropes, a bit stretchy, but so much less weight to carry up the hill.
In reply to buffalo606:

Will do
In reply to tehmarks:

I was thinking that myself. I do have a 60m 10.1mm mammut rope I use for sport that I could maybe could use for trad
 tehmarks 30 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:

That's good to know; I just bought a pair. That said I think I'm going to keep mine away from trad because gritstone and granite will invariably have quite the negative effect on the dry treatment, and that's the entire reason I bought them in the first place.
 TobyA 31 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Mine was bought I think in about 2001 so I have no idea what the current vintage are like anyway!
 Puppythedog 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Shane jones:

I have messaged you bout buying the ropes.
Hope that is okay.
 bandit12 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Shane jones:

Used same pair for trad for more than 10 years, lots of use on all rock types home and abroad, except grit. Yes they stretch a bit more and a belay device suitable for thinner ropes is advisable, especially for when abseiling. But ours still looked reasonable after much use and quite a few falls, the primary reason for changing was age.
OP Shane jones 05 Jan 2018
In reply to bandit12:

What ropes have you gone for now then?
 bandit12 05 Jan 2018
In reply to Shane jones:

Bought a pair of Mammut Genesis 8.5mm, they seemed a good price at the time we were looking, £200 for pair of 60m. Only used for one summer of trad so far so time will tell how they stand up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...